Bulberry wood carving and turning

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

rich59

Maker
Aug 28, 2005
London
On the Kent meetup last weekend I received a mulberry log. Many thanks to Laurence. I was really taken by the 3 different striking colours in the wood and the beautiful bark. In the pub afterwards I fell to thinking what I could carve from it.

The bark has a beautiful texture and is firm. The outer couple of centimetres of wood is a white wood. The heart wood is complex. It looks yellow/ green now but I am told will age to brown. It is shot through with red/ brown - especially at the border with the white.

So, I explored what one could do with this colour arrangement to good effect.

1) A spoon, or even a set of spoons - with the white appearing in different places on each spoon - the depth of the bowl, the edge of the bowl, on the handle, various orientations.

2) A Ship with the top of the funnels showing the white (and possibly the keel area out the other side of the log).

3) A relief carving of something. My inspiration was a leaf say. You could carve it in the plane of the colour boundary and so the veins of the leaf would be emphasised by the change in wood colour

4) A human hand - again in the plane of the colour boundary so the white picked out the back of the hand

5) Coasters/ drinks mats - either traditionally round, or cut on a slant to be different. Preserve the bark so all colours and textures are simply shown.

6) Clock face - like the coasters

7) Cleverly worked human statue where the wood colouring suggested dark clothing on a white skinned body. One would have to carefully plan the posture to make use of the wood colours.

8) Wooden forks and spatulae - a variation on the spoons.

9) Egg cups and goblets - again using the white wood in different orientations.

I then looked around the internet and picked out a couple of examples of what others have done with mulberry.

I think this one is done entirely by wood turning and shows how the colour distribution and the bark look.
JR_Tanner_Wood_Bowl___Mulberry_258_45.jpg

It is the bowl below that is the mulberry, not the spoons etc.. The white wood hasn't been used but it shows the effect of the shooting through by the darker wood colour in the heart wood.

mulberrybowlR.jpg

My log is about 6 inches diameter to about 9 the other end and about 18 to 21 inches long. What would you do with it?

bowman

Jan 6, 2006
East Sussex
Rich

I think I'd be tempted to split it down so that I had 3 or 4 chances to get a decent spoon or similar out of it. I have been carting around a section of an apple tree that I felled over 4 years ago and have already managed to lose 2 of the 4 spoon blanks it yielded, either through mistakes or defects in the wood. It would be a shame to commit the whole piece to one large attempt.

On the other hand, go for your life!

Good luck anyway.

Bowman

C

CatFisH

Hey Rich..that is indeed a Mulberry bowl...carved it myself.. :D ...it is Red Mulberry from the SE US...Morus rubra to compare it to the species you have there...Red Mulberry does have a yellowish color with some hints of green and brown mineral streaks...I use mineral oil to maintain the color you see there...

mulberrybowlR.jpg

a piece of mulberry 6 inches in diameter on the small end and 21 inches long would yield a narrow bowl and maybe a couple of utensils from the other half...as to the white wood or sapwood, I remove it because it lacks the character that the heartwood has and it isnt as durable

below is a big Black Cherry burl that I found...

bigcherryburl.jpg

that so far has produced this burl bowl...

burlcherry1R.jpg

but you are only limited by your imagination...

spaltedoakspoon1R.jpg

MojoManCherry1R.jpg

Marts

Native
May 5, 2005
London
Cherry is a beautiful wood to work. But that burl bowl is stunning Catfish. Good work fella :D

Laurence Dell

Forager
Aug 24, 2004
Sevenoaks, Kent
For reference the log I gave Rich on Sunday was from a Black Mulberry (Morus nigra)
Rich
I thought the log I gave you was smaller than that, :confused: it must have been a fair old weight to carry home in your rucksack.

Personally I'd go for splitting it in half lengthways and making a couple of spoons or even better a set of salad tongs. Then the missus can't say that Bushcraft isn't a useful hobby ;)

rich59

Maker
Aug 28, 2005
London
Laurence Dell said:
I thought the log I gave you was smaller than that, :confused: it must have been a fair old weight to carry home in your rucksack.
Maybe it grows when you carry it in a rucksack? Perhaps it was more towards 4-5 inches at the thinner end.

I agree that useful items for the kitchen do have certain attractions in the domestic harmony area.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE