building a wood burning stove

Neal78

Dec 5, 2013
ipswich
Im building a stove out of an old gas bottle and a disc brake from a car. I was just thinking about what to burn in it as I haven't collected any wood yet. Which wood is best to burn and which wood is best yo burn green.

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
All wood will burn, things like oak, ash and beech are great burning long and hot, soft woods like pine and spruc burn very hot but quick, no wood will burn very well green.

wingstoo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 12, 2005
South Marches
Ash burns both green and dried...

Logs to burn! Logs to burn!
Logs to save the coal a turn!
Here’s a word to make you wise
When you hear the woodsman’s cries.

Beech wood fires burn bright and clear,
Hornbeam blazes too’
If the logs are kept a year
To season through and through.

Oak logs will warm you well
If they are old and dry.
Larch logs of the pine smell
But the sparks will fly.

Pine is good and so is Yew
For warmth through winter days,
But poplar and the willow too
Take long to dry or blaze.

Birch logs will burn to fast,
Alder scarce at all,
Chestnut logs are good to last
If cut in the fall

Holly logs will burn like wax –
You should burn them green.
Elm logs like a smouldering flax,
No flames to be seen.

Pear logs and Apple logs
They will scent a room,
Cheery logs across the dogs
Smell like flowers in bloom.

But Ash logs all smooth and grey,
Burn them green or old,

Buy up all that come your way
They’re worth their weight in Gold!

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Aye Ash burns well seasoned or fresh - but you get a lot of tar/soot deposits in your flue if you burn it green. Another culprit for clogging your flue is Sycamore - the high sugar content of the sap makes a "Crunchie" bar of black carp in the flue.
Most deposits seem to form if you have a bend in the flue.
We recently converted from an open fire at home to a multi-fuel burner and have had to alter our wood cycle to account for the new narrow flue instead of the huge inglenook chimney we had before.
Our firewood is now 2 year seasoned instead of one and we no longer burn green Ash. Sycamore really needs 3 year seasoning - Sychamore does not even get a mention in the old song but is what grows in abundance around here!

mr dazzler

Native
Aug 28, 2004
uk
Another culprit for clogging your flue is Sycamore - the high sugar content of the sap makes a "Crunchie" bar of black carp in the flue.
Most deposits seem to form if you have a bend in the flue.

When I had my first woodburner, and was at the mercy of "firewood suppliers"....I had the flue almost close right up with a hard black toffee like deposit. The top 12 inches or so had reduced to about 3 inch internal diameter (on a 6 inch flu) The draw was non existent so the lounge was like a kipper house sometimes. It was caused, of course, by damp wood, uncertain what species of wood. The sweep was a generous and patient man (thanks Andy W) He used a brass ball on the end of the rods to gradually and gently chip away the mess. That was when I said no more bought in firewood for me, I'll just process and store it myself from now on.

Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
Holly logs will burn like wax –
You should burn them green.
Elm logs like a smouldering flax,
No flames to be seen.

Holly like wax, any good for waterproof uses?

Shame about the elms too.

not my favourite Sycamore, is thought to be an alien spieces, spreads like a weed, and is treated as such in some places, so maybe a source of timber to burn, doing jobs for people.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
No wood "should" be burned green - most woods "can" burn green with variable success. From a logical scientific point of view, expending heat energy in drying the sap from wood during the burn does not make sense. Holly burns well - but not as hot as thorn woods. A perfect fire for me is some small blackthorn to get a bed of embers and warm up the stove then a big dry ash log on top to burn slowly with all the vents shut and the damper closed.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
No wood "should" be burned green - most woods "can" burn green with variable success. From a logical scientific point of view, expending heat energy in drying the sap from wood during the burn does not make sense. Holly burns well - but not as hot as thorn woods. A perfect fire for me is some small blackthorn to get a bed of embers and warm up the stove then a big dry ash log on top to burn slowly with all the vents shut and the damper closed.

That is an excellent recipe :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE