Building a hammock stand...

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
So today I decided to begin work on a hammock stand I had been thinking about for quite some time. I did eye up some commercial ones but they were too expensive, too short for my warbonnet and didn't extend up to hang a tarp to keep off the sun or a shower.

I didn't really plan it but it's coming together ok so far... The whole thing is in cheap decking frame wood from Homebase with some M12 threaded rod and nylon locking nuts. I had to stop play this afternoon but should have it completed by the middle of the week.

It has hardly been subjected to stress analysis or even had much thought in that area, if it collapses I'll rebuild it with bigger bits of wood. Total work to get to the half way mark I would say is an hour. photos coming in a few minutes when my phone has charged enough.

Last edited:

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I must be missing something here?

Does the system fold down for carrying to your campsite? Isn't it a bit heavy and large? Or is it for one of those back garden sun hammock things?

Johnnyboy1971

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 24, 2010
Yorkshire
Not sure if there are any pics on here but Matt from UK hammocks built one to display his hammocks at shows.
Great bit of joinery.

Hog On Ice

Nomad
Oct 19, 2012
Virginia, USA
hammock stands are great for car camping but if I have to walk the stand in more than a mile or so its not going to happen - the stand I use is ground anchor based and is lighter than the older pipe stand I used to use - here are a couple pics of the "new" stand:

attachment.php

attachment.php

note the ground slopes toward the woods in back of the second pic - the horizontal line is actually very close to really horizontal even though it looks a bit off

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
It's for at home relaxing... I usually use our big apple tree and one of next doors pine trees but they do belong to my neighbour so thought I'd make a stand. It's all bolted though, so can be taken down easily.

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
Was nice when I saw it in the flesh... one thing i'm going to do is use a roof-tent trick and have flexible rods to keep the tarp out that connect to the frame so I won't need any guying.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE