Buffalo sleeping bag review

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

simonsays

Forager
Sep 9, 2004
sunderland
I had a moment of weakness whilst I was in the Penrith Survival shop and found myself the proud owner of a Buffalo 4 season outer, inner and thermaliner :rolleyes:
I've owned a Special 6 shirt for years and love it to bits. Its had more use than just about any bit of outdoor kit that I own, being either on my back or in my pack on just about every outing. I have been yearning after the sleeping bag for ages but was unable to find anywhere that had 'em in stock. I was attracted to the idea of a sleep -system- which in theory should be able to provide appropriate gear for spring, summer, autumn and winter.

Okay, first things first. What have I actually got for my money. The 4 season outer comprises of a pertex shell lined with thick fibre pile. The thermaliner is a plain pertex shell and the inner is fibre pile only. All three items have the same basic design and shape, a sort of square shouldered mummey with a fitted hood. The zips are all 3/4 length and run down the middle of the bag. All parts of the system have tapes/toggles to enable them to be 'nested' one inside another.
Quality of construction is excellent, heavy duty free running zips and no loose threads.

I chose the XL size, not so much for the length but for the girth :D I'm just a little above the recommended weight limit of 238lbs but the bag fits fine with plenty of room at the chest and shoulders. Its worth noting that the bag is not designed to allow you to turn in it. If you roll in your sleep your bag rolls with you. This is due to the close fitting hood which does an excellent job of both keeping your head warm and preventing heat loss from the body of the bag. This design is much more efficient than the combination of head and shoulder baffles/drawstrings that I'm used to having to fiddle with.

Nesting the bags one inside another is a job probably best done before venturing out. Its not difficult in controlled conditions but I would imagine it would be fiddly in the dark with frozen fingers. Getting in the bag also needs a little practice. You need to shuffle down the bag and the get your shoulders and head inside the bag then do the zip up. Obviously if you have the bags nested you will need to fasten the outer bag first and then work inwards.

When I first laid the bag out I will admit to being a little concerned. There is very little in the way of loft and I'd always believed that more loft=more warmth. How was this going to keep me warm. Getting into the bag for the first time was a bit of a revelation, the fibre pile just feels so -warm- against your skin. There isnt that 'warming up' period that you seem to get with other bags.

In use - the first outing the bag had was as a doss bag after a party. I just used the fibre-pile inner and the house (A student property) was bloody freezing. I was toasty. Next usage was a weekends camping in the Lakes. Again the temperature dipped below freezing but I was still toasty, in fact I ended up taking the 4 season outer off and turning it upside down like a quilt over the inner.
Of course the bag is capable of much tougher tests (I hoped) than this so last night I stepped out into the back garden armed with just the sleeping bag, a standard foam sleeping mat and a bit of ground sheet. I slept in wool socks and a set of thermals and spent a fairly passable night. I had the snorkel hood done up really tight and was never cold despite the temperature hitting a low of about -3. I had planned on rolling the groundsheet over the bag to protect it from the odd bursts of sleet/rain but it kept blowing off and I gave in in the end. By morning the pertex outer was pretty much soaked through and the outer layer of pile was damp. There were a few spots of moisture on the thermaliner but the inner layer of pile was totally dry. Result :cool: The wet outer dried very happily and quickly on a warm radiator but would have dried just as happily with body heat.
I wouldnt have liked to have attempted this sort of bivy (Even in the back garden) in any other kind of sleeping bag. My other attempts at bivvying in bad weather have all relied on gortex bivvy bags which are just condensation traps.

Downsides? Its expensive, you get little change from £200
Its heavy. No it really is heavy :eek: mine weighs about 3kg
Its bulky. The full system takes up about half of my 80l sack and it doesnt compress at all.
It doesnt like flame, the inner already has a small hole caused by a careless smoker at the above-mentioned party :240:

Overall I'm really happy with my purchase. I just -know- that its going to last me for years and years and (hopefully) give me many nights comfy sleep. I'd be pleased to answer any questions that anyone has.

Cheers,
Simon

Jan 13, 2004
Czech Republic
would either of the liners fit over a nanok -10 (195cm) do you know? you said you got a large size, so i wondered about it. i am interested in increasing windproofness with little bulk or loss in breathability.

thanks
-ian

simonsays

Forager
Sep 9, 2004
sunderland
bushtuckerman said:
would either of the liners fit over a nanok -10 (195cm) do you know? you said you got a large size, so i wondered about it. i am interested in increasing windproofness with little bulk or loss in breathability.

thanks
-ian

It should do. the XL size bag is designed for folk up to 6'7'' which is well over 200cm and the shoulder is probably much less tapered than your nanok.

Okay, as a trial I've just tried the thermaliner over my Rab down bag (Good to -5), loads of room to spare. repeating the exercise with the 4 season outer still gave me a reasonable fit without compressing the down. Its worth noting that the thermaliner will stuff into any odd gap in your sack but taking along the 4 season outer will most certainly add to the size of your pack considerably

As usual, best to try before you buy if you can actually find a shop with any in stock. I had to travel 150miles to the nearest shop with stock :rolleyes:

Hope this helps,
Simon

happy camper

Nomad
May 28, 2005
Scotland
hello :)
cheers for the review, i've got the 4s outer and i've been looking at getting the inner, do you know if the 4s inner make it a 4 season bag or do you need the thermaliner aswell?
cheers

bushtuckerman, i've just put my x-large 4s outer next to my endurance-10, it looks a tiny bit narrower at the feet so it might be that you lose a little loft around the feet, it's certainly big enough at the shoulders but i'd say it's touch and go lower down, i suppose it depends if the thermaliner is cut narrower than the 4s outer. I think the lightweight thermaliner is just a pertex shell, you would certainly save some money if you just bought some pertex and made a simple windproof outer for your nanok, then you could give yourself a little extra room and have the perfect fit..

simonsays

Forager
Sep 9, 2004
sunderland
happy camper said:
hello :)
cheers for the review, i've got the 4s outer and i've been looking at getting the inner, do you know if the 4s inner make it a 4 season bag or do you need the thermaliner aswell?
cheers

Yes, the inner will make it a full 4 season bag for tent use. The addition of the thermaliner between the layers of fibre-pile just increase the level of wind proofing and reduces water penetration when bivvying

Cheers,
Simon

fast but dim

Nomad
Nov 23, 2005
lancs
got to be cheeky: i'm thinking of selling my 4s outer and 4s inner: theyre excellent bags for the wet, but as it's been said theyre bulky.
as all my camping in the future will be done with my son who's to little to carry much I'm going to buy a smaller bag.
IF you're after the 4s inner and outer give me a pm.

mods: feel free to delete if you think this post is innapropriate :)

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
Excellent review........................Cheers Simon. I am thinking about getting one and that helps.........................Jon

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE