Buffalo River survival knife

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
May 3, 2015
isle pf Anglesey
Here are a few pictures of my new knife I got for £35 just see if anyone has any thoughts on this knife?
Thanks Tom
3f0f23a5f77f8708dd1abc97a487cc8f.jpg
5f09bd2bd600cc63db2a9da2caf3a381.jpg
b380721dc8a15b0debe3e1ea13974a80.jpg
98e3447bedecc8dde8e4cacbd621432c.jpg

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Not my kind of colour or handle material or shape.
I detest serrated edges.
Not keen on the sheath design either really.
BUT if it does what you want, feels good in your hand, looks good to your eye, cuts well, holds an edge and you find it OK to sharpen then £35 is well spent :)

May 3, 2015
isle pf Anglesey
It is my first knife and I do agree with the serrations I would prefer it without but it still cuts nicely it is just nice to actually have a knife the handle apart from it being neon green it actually fits really comfortable in my hand , I actually love the sheath haha others will probably appeal to me much more but I just love the sound of the plastic when I slot it in haha I do like the look of it of the nylon part though
cffca9e17a61a70775bf51892d9580f4.jpg

Countryman

Native
Jun 26, 2013
North Dorset

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
I had a quick go with one of those mora blacks owned by an instructor on a course. Very nice.

The 'buffalo river survival knife' the names at least, seem to get better and better.

Countryman

Native
Jun 26, 2013
North Dorset
Buffalo River to my knowledge turned up as a brand in the UK a couple of years ago. Think Jack Pyke or similar budget hunting kit.

They do gun bags and gun cabinets too. I'm not convinced quality hasn't been trumped by cheap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MikeLA

May 17, 2011
Northumberland
Its a good start for a first knife not keen on serrations myself but they do have there uses and actually one of my most used handy knives the bear grylls Compact knife has them Wish it didnt but its a knife Thats a perfect fit in the hand so put up with the serrations just because I like the feel and comfort of the knife.

Anyhow first knife so practice practice practice then get a mora perhaps

MikeLA

May 17, 2011
Northumberland
That will be dead handy come the Zombie Apocalypse but for bushcraft: http://www.thebushcraftstore.co.uk/mora-bushcraft-black-knife---heavy-duty-carbon-steel-11116-p.asp

Or pick up one of the cheaper Mora knives or a Hultafors Craftsmans Knife for under £5.

This advice comes from a bloke with 3 Wilkinson Sword Dartmoor knives that is comfortable with a larger knife for Bushcraft. That blade is going to hurt you!

Those Wilkinson Sword Dartmoor knives are Excellent, Used by Ray Mears before the fame!

Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
I like it but how to sharpen the two pointy serrations, you can use a small round file on the big ones. I'd file them away at home so as I could sharpen them outsdide. I do like serrations though

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
... see if anyone has any thoughts on this knife?

You said it's your first. Someone else said it won't be your last. I'll second that. :)

It's what I'd call a larger knife, and there's nothing wrong with that, but for many 'bushcraft' (I'd tend to say 'camping') jobs you might find it a bit on the big side.

So your next knife should be a smaller one. :)

I tend to the view that larger knives do larger jobs, so I fell trees with a big parang, prep firewood with something with a fixed four or five inch blade, prep food with a three or four inch folder and do surgery (really) with my Victorinox Signature. And most of the time I use a multi-tool. For me, generally speaking, the smaller the blade the sharper it needs to be.

What you have there would for me be in the firewood prep range. I wouldn't use it for food prep, it might be handy on the belt if you suddenly have the urge to cut something but if you carry it on your belt all day every day you might start to find it gets in the way a bit or sometimes pokes you in the ribs when you squat/sit down. If I carried something like that (I often do) it would generally be in my pack.

Most of my favourite blades are stainless. Many of the largest ones aren't but almost all the smallest ones are. Some of them even have serrations. :) I was once in the "no serrations for me" camp but I've mellowed a bit since SWMBO bought me a Victorinox SwissTool in Switzerland about 15 years ago and I found myself using the serrated blade a lot. Now I really like to have something serrated handy, and usually it will be on a multi-tool on my belt.

The knife is apparently sold as a 'survival' knife. To me that often means it has stuff tucked away in the handle, like the Dartmoor - has this one, and if so, what?

Are you likely to be going anywhere that would put your survival at risk?

Edit: SwissTool, not SuperTool, dummy!

Last edited:

bigbear

May 1, 2008
Yorkshire
For me, small is beautiful !
yes, there are lots of times when you need a bigger blade, but for most of those I have a saw or hatchet, because I am not in a survival situation, if I was I suspect that my skills would be more critical than the kbife I had, and they are what will let me down in reality !
if you want to spen money on knives, and many of us do, then a Frost River micro Canadien will make you fall in love with small blades.....

May 3, 2015
isle pf Anglesey
I have been using this knife today trying the one piece of wood and your knife m fferos and it worked perfectly it's surprisingly very sharp and get good sparks off of it had a little misshap cut my finger open but hey no pain no gain and just to let everyone know I'm not one of those irresponsible people who has mo care for knife safety it was just a accident :p everyone has them, I was testing my crusader mk2 stove out again today works really well , I put this knife through quite a bit of chopping, batoning feathering , and don't know the technical word but creating the dust from the wood and it all worked really well my only problem was I used a laurel tree/Bush/shrub because there was just a off cut lying around the chapel (where I live), and it just would not light very well then I used some other wood and worked a lot quicker

peaks

Settler
May 16, 2009
Derbys
Use your knife to get experience and develop your skills - you will learn its benefits + shortcomings.

If you are anything like the rest of us you end up with a variety of knives for various tasks - its all down to your own personal preference.

For me theres not much that I do out there that a Victorinox Farmer or Hunter/Forester (locking blade +saw) won't suffice. Everyone's bushcraft is different. My knives aren't suitable for heavy duty tasks including batoning. For heavy duty I'll use a Mora or similar. It all depends what you do when you are out there. There isn't a perfect solution IMO.
My pocket EDC is a Victorinox classic/aka Signature.

Take your time.....experiment. For a few quid try a Mora as a contrast to your existing knife...........

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE