budget knifemaking from an old file

JohnC

Jun 28, 2005
Edinburgh
I wanted to make a knife from an old file and also to try to keep the cost down as much as possible. I did have a lot of wood scraps and the gasbottle forge already and I did have the tools and leather, but I tried to use scraps and bits that were left over.

Chopping up the file, I found the file at a scrap yard and had thrown it into a fire some months before to takethe temper out of it.

file1.jpg

file2.jpg

Shaping the file a bit more, it was a fairly thick piece of metal.

file4.jpg

Then heat treating the blade.

file5.jpg

I used some 2p pieces as the bolsters, I should have checked but one was all copper, the other was copper covered steel.

file6a.jpg

I was using some offcuts of wood we'd gathered over the year for various projects and some birchbark I'd got from Hopetoun House near the Forth to make the handle. It was the first time I'd tried birchbark and had under estimated the amount needed, but the extra space was easily taken up by the wood.

file6.jpg

file7.jpg

This is the knife done so far.. I plan to oil the wood and bark. I assume/hope the bark wont go too soft with oil...

file9.jpg

The sheath was from a bit of B&Q lat, split in half and hollowed out. I wanted to use only a few bits of scrap leather, so this worked fine. I plan to wax the wood and leather later on. There'll probably be a bit of cord to wrap in between the two leather bands.

file8.jpg

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Fantastic work John,
especially when you've only used hand tools!
I've made a few using old files but now I'll be trying a wooden sheath - that looks great too.

ATB

Ogri the trog

JohnC

Jun 28, 2005
Edinburgh
Thanks, I hope to use an old saw blade for an ulu and a kitchen knife later in the new year. Not so sure on the steel type though.

B

bushyboo

lovely knife
I started one a while back and its been on the back burner ever since

You have just inspired me to get working on it again thanks:You_Rock_

Gordon

Grooveski

Native
Aug 9, 2005
Glasgow
Brilliant. That's really nice, a class act. :)

Used to use 2ps sometimes when hanging gates and big doors if they were too heavy for nylon and squeaky using steel. Was a handy alternative when you ran out of at-hand options.

SOAR

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 21, 2007
cheshire
Thats a great post John, I really like the knife I think it looks really good, nice idea for the sheath too. all in all mate a top job.

All the best.

Snufkin

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 13, 2004
Norfolk
Nice work. The birchbark will end up with a lovely, warm velvety feel after oiling.
I'm suprised you found a copper 2p, the ones I've tried were all coated steel.

burning

Tenderfoot
Jul 27, 2006
nw uk
You should have weighed that copper 2p in, must be worth about 5p in scrap value ..... and before anyone says anything bah humbug :bluThinki

JohnC

Jun 28, 2005
Edinburgh
The 2p at the front when I drilled and ovalled the edges appeared to be copper all the way through, the one at the back was just a layer of copper.

Mike Ameling

Need to contact Admin...
Jan 18, 2007
Iowa U.S.A.
www.angelfire.com
Thanks, I hope to use an old saw blade for an ulu and a kitchen knife later in the new year. Not so sure on the steel type though.

A lot of the modern circular saw blades are something like D2 or D7. But they usually have carbide cutting teeth on the tips - so they are bi-metal blades.

If you use a hand saw blade, they do make up into very good knives. As long as you keep them cool when shaping/grinding, the original heat treat remains in them. And that works very well as a knife. I use a chisel to tap along the profile of the knife blade I want. I go over that line several times, hitting a little harder with each pass. This creates a "shear line" within the saw blade, and the blade will eventually crack along that line. Then I take that knife blank to my bench grinder and clean/smooth up the profile. If it starts to get too hot to hold in my fingers, I cool it in water right away. Once I have the profile shaped up, I then move on to create my bevels. One hard part is drilling holes for pins for the handles. That hardened saw blade eats up expensive drill bits. I now punch my holes through. I ground a steel punch down to the size I need for my pins. And I drilled a matching sized hole in a thick scrap of iron to use as a backing plate. I put the saw blade on the backing plate, and then start tapping/hammering the punch until it shears out a round plug the size of the pin hole. I go slow with this - sometimes having to hit the punch 6 or 8 times to get it through. And then I run a drill bit through the hole to ream it out to size and smooth the hole up a bit.

Handsaw blades do make up into some nice knives - and without any forging or heat treating. The rip and crosscut handsaw blades make up into wonderful little knives - like penny knives or kitchen parring knives. The big/thick logging crosscut saw blades make good belt/sheath knives.

Have fun with your projects. And I will have to see about using some birch bark stacked up like that for a handle. Interesting idea.

Thanks
Mikey - that grumpy ol' German blacksmith out in the Hinterlands

wildrover

Nomad
Sep 1, 2005
Scotland
Thats nice stuff John.
I like nice up swept profile, it looks good.:cool:

Any chance of some more pics of your forge set up.

I've got several lengths of cromwell O1 (and old files for that matter) in the shed and to be honest it's the thought of the heat treatment that puts me off.:rolleyes:

JohnC

Jun 28, 2005
Edinburgh
100_0116.jpg

It's a half gas canister, with a length of piping into the bottom, then connecting a foot pump onto the end of that to provide a draught. the charcoal gets pretty hot, the dustbin lid helps to see the colours of the metal a bit and shield things. I have a magnet on a stick to check when the steel is non magnetic, and a tin of veg oil nearby. Once its cleaned up after hardening, I use the kitchen oven to take some of the hardness out..

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE