Buckskins

sasquatch

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
I've always wanted to make a buckskin shirt but it's too expensive to buy even with Tandy membership and I don't have the space/time to prepare my own. It's something I'll do oneday, been on my list of things to do for ages. If you have any pics please share, can't beat a bit of mountain man apparel...

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I wish I had pix. Or a set of buckskins for that matter. I'm in the same boat you are though; lack of time, space, money, etc. That's one reason I started the thread, to see if anybody had any ideas how to do this affordably and see who else is into it. Maybe we'll get lucky yet.

sasquatch

Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
I'd stink the whole neigbourhood out if I prepared my own, my mid terrace garden is tiny with more houses backing onto it. I keep checking the sales at Tandy, they sometimes have decent prices on buckskin but you need a lot and it's still expensive. Just a case of having the money handy when the right sale comes up for me. It will happen oneday!

I admit to being a bit sad, I enjoy leatherwork and I've done my son a set of proper spurs and gunslinging belt with holsters as he loves cowboys, and I'd love to have a go at a set of shotgun chaps and buckskin shirt complete with some cowboy cuffs to finish it off. I don't know when I'd ever get to wear it though. A buckskin shirt would be fine with bushcraft garb but the rest wouldn't see the light of day...

sasquatch

Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
I have one, and use it at times. Good points; windproof, strong. Bad points; absorbs water like a sponge.

Ya I've heard they're no good in the rain, I'd only bother with one in the spring and summer and layer up in the wet. Did you buy yours or make it yourself? Any chance of a picture wearing it? Image wise I think they bring a real touch of class to camping.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I'm like you. For the most part I'd never get to wear them but I just want a set. Maybe one day I can make it to a Rendevous.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Last edited:

forestwalker

When I did mine I lived in an apartment. Soaked on the balcony in bucket, used a piece of 150 mm plastic pipe as a log to scrape on , carried the whole setup into the woods by going on a commuter train and walking 20 min. Quite doable, no major stink.

sasquatch

Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
When I did mine I lived in an apartment. Soaked on the balcony in bucket, used a piece of 150 mm plastic pipe as a log to scrape on , carried the whole setup into the woods by going on a commuter train and walking 20 min. Quite doable, no major stink.

That's food for thought, if it can be done on a balcony it can be done anywhere. Nice one, A for effort!

Thanks for the links Teedee, the guy at 121 certainly looks authentic!

First off the leather Tandy sells as buckskin is chemical tan not true brain tan which is like comparing apples and oranges.
Real braintan that is properly smoked is more water repellent and Isn't clammy like chemical tan. Also brain tan will soften up easily when you dry it.
If you live in town or a flat the dry scrape method can be used it doesn't involve letting the hide soak so it can start to brake down I also like it in the winter when water soaked hides freeze to your scraping post.
Dry scrape is still messy as the hair can get everywher but the funk factor is much lower.

sasquatch

Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
First off the leather Tandy sells as buckskin is chemical tan not true brain tan which is like comparing apples and oranges.
Real braintan that is properly smoked is more water repellent and Isn't clammy like chemical tan. Also brain tan will soften up easily when you dry it.
If you live in town or a flat the dry scrape method can be used it doesn't involve letting the hide soak so it can start to brake down I also like it in the winter when water soaked hides freeze to your scraping post.
Dry scrape is still messy as the hair can get everywher but the funk factor is much lower.

Thanks for all the info, I had no idea the properties were different between what Tandy sell and what you do yourself. I always thought it would be a similar process used but obviously not. I'm definately after the smoked process for the soft texture after drying, can't beat the real deal. I guess I'm best to start talking to someone that shoots. Cheers!

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida

I'll add my thanks to Sasquatch's. I like Tandy for a lot of products but I guess buckskin won't be one of them.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE