BSA Golstar air rifle facelift

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
The stock on my Goldstar is a bit battered in a couple of places so I fancy stripping it down and sanding it back. What can I use to finish it after ? I don't fancy a DIY heavily brushed varnish but something a bit more classy.

Would an oil be a better option ? If so any suggestions ?

Also what grit paper would you finish on before applying a finish ?

johnnytheboy

Native
Aug 21, 2007
Falkirk
jokesblogspot.blogspot.com
Ohhh sounds dodgy, a piece of airgun history turned to kindling :-D

I tried it once and went the wrong way with varnishes etc and it looked abit nasty, luckily on a cheap gun, as you say oiling would be a good option, i'm sure there are kits you can get specifically for gun stocks, bushwear are bound to have them!!! someone on airgunbbs would know for sure, its like this forum, allot of knowledgable folk like BR, toddy etc who have done it all and can give advice from years of know how!!

shaggystu

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
i'd guess that it's a beech stock, i reckon that's what bsa tend to use, so treat it just as you would a beech handled knife. get the varnish off it, give it a good dust down and slap plenty of linseed oil on it (warm oil obviously being better than cold oil), leave the oil to dry and harden, give it a rub down with some wire wool, then repeat, until you get sick of it. the great thing about linseed oil is that if you've got the patience to keep rubbing it on and then rubbing some of it off again you can hide pretty much anything, i've filled massive cracks in timber with oil and ended up with as nice a finish as i would've done if i'd started with a perfect 1000grit surface.

hope that helps a little

cheers

stuart

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Ohhh sounds dodgy, a piece of airgun history turned to kindling :-D

I tried it once and went the wrong way with varnishes etc and it looked abit nasty, luckily on a cheap gun, as you say oiling would be a good option, i'm sure there are kits you can get specifically for gun stocks, bushwear are bound to have them!!! someone on airgunbbs would know for sure, its like this forum, allot of knowledgable folk like BR, toddy etc who have done it all and can give advice from years of know how!!

Cheers Johnny, not thought about Bushwear.

Kindling ? Oh I really hope not :yikes:

i'd guess that it's a beech stock, i reckon that's what bsa tend to use, so treat it just as you would a beech handled knife. get the varnish off it, give it a good dust down and slap plenty of linseed oil on it (warm oil obviously being better than cold oil), leave the oil to dry and harden, give it a rub down with some wire wool, then repeat, until you get sick of it. the great thing about linseed oil is that if you've got the patience to keep rubbing it on and then rubbing some of it off again you can hide pretty much anything, i've filled massive cracks in timber with oil and ended up with as nice a finish as i would've done if i'd started with a perfect 1000grit surface.

hope that helps a little

cheers

stuart

Cheers Stuart, I think you're right with Beech, sounds like I have a good winter project lined up then.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE