Bronze Knife

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

shadow57

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 28, 2005
Glossop, Derbyshire
Hello...Just had a go at making a bronze age type knife for Toddy. I am not sure about the authenticity of the design :rolleyes:

I had to look around the net for info on bronze and the bug bit me.... :D

Bronze age forge :eek: , making crucibles from clay and sand, 80% copper 20 % tin, casting bronze :D :D :D its just asking to be done :D :D :D

such fun to be had
John

Attachments

• Bronze knife 1.JPG
    Bronze knife 1.JPG
    23 KB · Views: 99

Bardster

Native
Apr 28, 2005
Staplehurst, Kent
A small metal supplier ( mostly for the model steam engine crew) near me sells phosphor bronze... What a gorgeous looking metal, would love to make something with it but as it only comes in the round it would have to be forged.

happy camper

Nomad
May 28, 2005
Scotland
hi bardster :)
i might be able to get a bit of 40mm by 4mm thick flat stock if you want a bit to play with as i have a little left over from a project. I can't promise when i'll get it as i think i have left it at a friends house and i don't know when i'll be over there during christmas but i'll do my best and let you know if i find it. :D

nickg

Settler
May 4, 2005
Chatham
Does anybody know anything about heat treating the metal to improve its edge keeping qualities??

I recently saw an episode of what the ancients did for us on cable. A bloke with a bronze sword and a bloke with an iron sword (wrought not steel) hacking away at each other. The bronze sword took less of a beating than the iron one which I thought interesting.

Now you have me tempted - nice work John

Bardster

Native
Apr 28, 2005
Staplehurst, Kent
happy camper said:
hi bardster :)
i might be able to get a bit of 40mm by 4mm thick flat stock if you want a bit to play with as i have a little left over from a project. I can't promise when i'll get it as i think i have left it at a friends house and i don't know when i'll be over there during christmas but i'll do my best and let you know if i find it. :D

Cool - nice one :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE