Brock v. Sprock

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
Was making good use of my treebog this evening whilst taking the sprocker out for her evening constitutional. She was quite happily munching grass as she is wont to do.

Without going into too much detail, I finished my routine and picked up the torch again so we could walk the 100 yards or so back to the house. The dog was nowhere to be seen but in the near distance I could hear sustained barking. Thinking it was a neighbour's dog I called mine but she didn't appear. I ran down the road in case she'd got stuck in the fence or something and heard her bark from the other side (so she was still on our field). I also heard furious snarling from something she'd cornered. I tore back round the other side of the hedge, wearing completely inappropriate footwear for long damp grass and eventually found a terrified badger and an excited dog who was holding if at bay. The badger was leaping forward and snarling but fortunately it doesn't look as if either of them had made contact as I'm sure neither of them would have come out unscathed if so.

She reluctantly obeyed my command to come away and followed me back in but I don't think I've ever been that close to a badger before (only got a decent picture of one on the trailcam this morning and that was at the other end of the property).

Leshy

Jun 14, 2016
Wiltshire
Sounds like a close call bud... Them badgers can be vicious if cornered like that.
Glad to hear neither your canine friend or stripy fella got hurt...

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
I know. Gave her an inspection and she's not bleeding as far as I can see and although she was panting, it is still warm here and she was excited. Can't hear her now. Generally she'll squeal when hurt but the barking was pretty much non stop - I think if there had been a proper fight the noises would have been different.

Joys of countryside living!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE