BRKT Woodland sharpening problems

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

buckley

Nomad
Nov 8, 2006
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I acquired a BRKT woodland this afternoon as part of a trade.

It was pretty blunt when I received it and wouldn't push cut paper or shave hair. Being a convex edge I though I’d use my five pound sharpening kit I made some months ago following BR's thread.

Three hours later and no luck:confused: I've used light pressure (little more than the weight of the blade, a stropping technique and only raised the spine about 13 degrees. I've had absolutely no luck, I haven't even bothered trying to use a leather strop as it’s to dull for that. I've tried varying the angle and pressure on occasion but still nothing. I’m very frustrated!

Any ideas where I am going wrong? Tips? It's A2 steel if that makes a difference

I wanted a little barkie as all the smaller ones I have seen have been great to use and literally scalpel sharp.:eek:

Anyone fancy putting an edge on it for me so I can just maintain it with stropping and green compound?

Not meaning to sound defeatist but I have tried everything I can think of believe me, I’ve even watched two online videos and followed the advice on the BRKT site.

Bah!

Cheers,

Buckley.

bushwacker bob

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 22, 2003
STRANGEUS PLACEUS
Sounds like the edge needs reprofiling.Start with a coarse grade grit 120ish and work through....... Or drop me a pm and I'll sort it for you.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I'd ask sean to do it Buckley - he's better at convex than I am (and he's just down the road from you too)

Red

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Well, you can always sort a date out :)

Not for the next two weeks though - I have moe pessing things to do!

Red

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE