BRK&T Highland Special and Guy Stainthorp Bushcrafter

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Xunil

Settler
Jan 21, 2006
North East UK
www.bladesmith.co.uk
Here we have a very nice example of the ever popular Bark River Knife & Tool Highland Special, in antique ivory Micarta with matching firesteel.

BRKT-highland-special-1.jpg

Unless you count stropping the blade when I first received it, it has never been used to cut anything.

The firesteel has a single mark running down it from where I tested it on the back of another knife.

This knife is the most popular in BRK&T’s Professional series and deservedly so.

I bought two and the first one shows every sign of being utterly indestructible, so this one is now up for grabs.

It comes with its original, standard sheath, and also a Sharpshooter Sheath Systems modular sheath.

BRKT-highland-special-2.jpg

BRKT-highland-special-3.jpg

BRKT-highland-special-4.jpg

The sheaths are more or less unmarked other than some minor scuffs from going in and out of its box a few times and, other than the single strike of the firesteel, this is effectively in new condition.

BRKT-highland-special-5.jpg

BRKT-highland-special-7.jpg

BRKT-highland-special-8.jpg

4 inch convex ground blade in A2, very strong yet with a fairly fine tip and a great all-round design for general outdoors use.

I’m not interested in making back what I paid but I will be entirely offended if whoever gets this doesn’t work it hard, so how does £75 including insured delivery sound for the knife, firesteel, box and two sheaths ?

Next up is a Guy Stainthorp Bushcrafter, in O1 and with stabilised Box Elder scales and mosaic pins.

guy-stainthorp-bushcrafter-1.jpg

I had this one made for me several years ago by Guy. I supplied the Box Elder and I also made the mosaic pins for it. He did his thing and this is where it all ended up. My rubbish photographs certainly don’t do it justice.

guy-stainthorp-bushcrafter-2.jpg

guy-stainthorp-bushcrafter-3.jpg

The knife came (at my request) without a sheath and I also asked Guy not to fit a lanyard tube, since I never use one. This makes the handle look a little longer than normal, but it isn’t – it is dimensionally identical to Guy’s other Bushcrafters. The Scout carry sheath I made for it was ‘borrowed’ a couple of years ago by a friend who also has one of these knives and I never saw it again...

I received this from Guy in June 1997 and used it for the latter part of that year. It has been in storage ever since, lying in stasis under a healthy coating of Renaissance Wax; in fact, I thought I’d lost it or that it had been ‘borrowed’ by my wayward uncle who often makes free with my knives, bows, guns, etc,.

guy-stainthorp-bushcrafter-4.jpg

I may even still have the letter of provenance that came with it from Guy somewhere in the attic, and if this is important to whoever buys it (assuming someone does) then I will try and hunt it out.

For those who don't know, Guy's work is truly superb.

Just to be clear, this is a knife on its own with no sheath, and it is unmarked.

Again, I am not bothered about making back what I paid, so how about £120 including insured delivery ?

PayPal is fine and any fees or other nonsense are incorporated into the asking price.

Thanks for looking.

Last edited:

vizsla

Native
Jun 6, 2010
Derbyshire
ahh i love the knife in elder if only i had the money right now maybe if its still here in a few days, would go perfect with my elder bushy.
good luck mate

telwebb

Settler
Aug 10, 2010
Somerset, UK
same as the previous I'm afraid - pay day next week I'd grab the Bark river off you - if it doesn't go (some hope!) bear me in mind ;)

Xunil

Settler
Jan 21, 2006
North East UK
www.bladesmith.co.uk
Thank you both for your comments - I will reserve either knife if required, for anyone who would like to do so.

If they sell, great, but if they don't they will simply go back into storage.

To be honest, I would really like to see them go to appreciative owners who will enjoy working with them. Sounds silly perhaps, but there we are.

The Big Lebowski

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 11, 2010
Sunny Wales!
That was a cracking price for the HS, not to metion with the spare sheath and FS!

I hope the new owner enjoy's it as intended :)

TBL.

Xunil

Settler
Jan 21, 2006
North East UK
www.bladesmith.co.uk
The Bark River Knife & Tool Highland Special is sold pending to Alfredo (many thanks Alfredo - I hope it gives you years of reliable service and work in the field :) ).

Unless someone happens to know how much insured delivery might be for a knife going to Italy, we have to wait until tomorrow for a confirmed overall cost including international insured shipping.

The Guy Stainthorp Bushcrafter is still available - I admit I'm quite surprised.

Some additional information on the Guy Stainthorp Bushcrafter, for those who have asked:

9 and 1/8" overall length

4 and 5/8" handle (measured to the front of the scales)

4 and 1/2" blade

4mm thick at the spine with a full convex grind.

As already stated I will reserve this knife and hold it for anyone who wants it until they are able to complete the purchase provided the buyer is:

A: serious

and

B: completes payment in 2010

If the lack of sheath is an issue to any potentially interested individuals then feel free to discuss via PM - if you are seriously interested and if you would appreciate and use a knife of this calibre then I will make a simple wet moulded leather pouch sheath for it.

I paid more than I am asking for it when I commissioned it and, frankly, it runs circles around many knives I have seen of more than double the price; if it doesn't sell it will go back into storage.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE