British Ration's ''How out of date is Out of date''?

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Like tinned stuff - I would say unless the packaging is damaged, the contents look or smell bad then they may not be in prime condition but should not kill you :)

Melonfish

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
best before not inedible after ;)
like john says, as long as they're in tact crack one open and test, sight, smell and taste are your safeguards

Darkside

Forager
Nov 2, 2009
Aldershot, UK
:) They are completely ruined and will poison you even if you just open one. Send them to me and I will dispose of them safely for you!:)

Honest!

lannyman8

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
issue rations are classed out of date after about 4 years (i think), the new one for Afghan are 18 months.....

the reason rations are dissposed of is due to minerals and vitamins being reduced to a sub standard quality, when your doing things like Afghan or exercise on Brecon you WILL need them, this is why a percentage are checked and then re dated ie extended, once past there best they are writen off....

so to answer the question are they ok to eat, sure fill your boots, the quality will not be the best but for a weekend bimble or camp in the woods it will be more than what you require....

just dont eat the cheese, that was writen of years ago and classed unsafe to eat.....

hope this helps.

chris.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
The chocolate remains edible for years but just does not look right. The tinned cheese used to explode in the packs (blown cans) so were withdrawn. You will loose some vitamin content after a few years but the calorific count remains about the same and the quality of food degrades a little (veg goes extra soft). If the packs have not 'blown' you should be OK eating them. I've still got a few from 2002 and are OK. The new style packs use a lot of standard off the shelf stuff which just don't have the long shelf life I'm told.

PS, the custard can go a bit runny.

Forest fella

Jul 2, 2008
Gloucestershire
Right peep's just to let you all know,That I have answered my own Question, I was mean't tobe out on a Weekend Shoot on a friends farm,But After trying the Ration's Mentioned for last night's tea and supper,I had to cut the trip short,or should that read,I got caught short,in a big way.
So I would say,if your stock piling Rat's from 1997,Please do yourself a favour and bin them.
Cheers

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
"Yeah, don't worry mate, they'll be fine. Just eat them. What's the worst that could happen? ... Oh. Ok then. Maybe not. ... I'll, er, just leave you to it then ..."

I'd have said they'd be ok too. Shows what we know.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE