British army to sell surplus online

Mikey P

Nov 22, 2003
Glasgow, Scotland
TheGreenMan said:
Wonderful posts, Jed.

I'd give you some Rep (Reputation points), but the system has recently been taken down due to some sort of scandal.

Maximum Rep to you (this will have to substitute)!

Best regards,
Paul.

PS: this place is a lot friendlier than arrse, isn't it?
PPS: I have read arrse from time to time, never posted (I'm a civilian) I'd hate to be thought of as some sort of 'fifth columnist' or God forbid, a Walt (even worse?) :D

I know what you mean as it can seem quite intimidating. But ARRSE suits a purpose, the military sense of humour can be a bit dark (based on p**s-taking and sarcasm) and many of us don't suffer fools gladly, but it is a good site (also see 'egoat', the RAF site) and a good source of information too for those in the military.

Frankly, the whole 'rep' thing passes me by - I have seen the comments on the problems with 'rep' in one of the other threads on this site and it just seems to be a bit egotistical. The fact that you are saying that it's a good post is good enough for me - don't worry about the 'rep' stuff.

Jedadiah

Native
Jan 29, 2007
Northern Doghouse
Hey fellas,

yes, i'd agree with you about military forums, one of the reasons i started reading Bushcraft UK was because i've been in the Military so long i find it refreshing to communicate with civilians about things we have in common.

The whole bushcraft / survival thing pre-dates just about everything, it goes back to our core values eg self reliance, confidence, food, water, shelter, providing for our families and communities, team work, social skills etc. A real basic 'learn to live with what nature can provide'.

Military personnel can get a little jaded and fixated with 'the latest kit' and what is the best at any price (me included!). I have come to this community and found balanced, motivated, intelligent and informative people who care about the bushcraft values which, in turn, could be and should be observed in the wider community. In turn it would benefit everyone who is a member of, what is increasingly becoming an insular community.

I was reading a thread in the edged tools forum about how one member (Topknot) had taught his son how to make a bushcraft knife and the value of patience, education, etc and that it can be a valuable lesson (i think it's called 'Teach 'em young').

I'm not slagging off military personnel (I am one at the end of the day), all i'm saying is that it is always good to get a fresh perspective, even if you come to the conclusion you dont agree, at least you have listened and become aware of difference.

Saying all that, the bushcraft community do seem to have a similar sense of humour to the military, maybe not quite as dark (this is a family forum after all!)

More power to you all and remember, when i was young, i had a broad mind and narrow waist. Older now, i see that these have a tendency to swap places! :rolleyes:

TheGreenMan

Native
Feb 17, 2006
beyond the pale
Mikey P said:
I know what you mean as it can seem quite intimidating. But ARRSE suits a purpose, the military sense of humour can be a bit dark (based on p**s-taking and sarcasm) and many of us don't suffer fools gladly, but it is a good site (also see 'egoat', the RAF site) and a good source of information too for those in the military.

Frankly, the whole 'rep' thing passes me by - I have seen the comments on the problems with 'rep' in one of the other threads on this site and it just seems to be a bit egotistical. The fact that you are saying that it's a good post is good enough for me - don't worry about the 'rep' stuff.

I must say, Mikey, that some of the humour on arrse is very funny indeed, there are some very quick witted guys on there, and some very intelligent ones too.

I used to read the QM forum when I was researching kit. The debate on whether to wear the generic gortex over, or under, was particularly entertaining, and I ended up learning a lot from that thread.

On the Rep thing, all I’ve got to say is that it was very difficult to earn on this site (that said, I only discoverd what Rep was a couple of months ago, so I wasn't a prolific Repper myself), one can really go out of one’s way to be helpful, with little gratitude expressed, let alone Rep given. So much so, that I’ve decided to, generally speaking, stop trying to help people out if it going to consume a lot of my time time. I’d rather go back and ‘lurk’.

Anyway, don’t want to ‘hijack’ the thread or get it locked, so I’ll stop my bleating now <chuckle>

Best regards,
Paul.

loz.

Settler
Sep 12, 2006
Dublin,Ireland
www.craobhcuigdeag.org
Guys, just echoing a remminder read on egoat

The terrorist threat is not gone, the internet is open, so be careful when divulging current forces membership, esp if your also posting in meetup, moot threads etc.

"After reading some of the posts today I feel that some members need reminding that we are now under terrorist threat again. A fair majority of our members remember the days of PIRA and the constant checking of ones back when out and about. However, the E-goat mods and admins have agreed that a little reminder of the threat is required. Extremist Terrorist organisations are now beginning to point their interests towards British Forces and with this we are once again under a dark shadow of being "hit".

So, I would like to remind you all that displaying peoples names, addresses, maps, or any other media displaying sensitive information or disclosing personal or restricted/classified information is against e-goat's security rules. If nicknames are used then I can accept that but please be aware of the implications of your actions. Just remember, the e-goat is an internet website and is fully viewable to anyone around the world."

nickg

Settler
May 4, 2005
Chatham
Goose said:
The yankee boiler, how could I forget about those?! We had a discussion about them a while ago, it goes a little off topic :rolleyes:
http://www.bushcraftuk.com/community/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=255867

The petrol burners I was thinking of, "a petrol fired rocket", were used by the chefs only. You dug a trench and put a metal hotplate on top then buried this(what can only be described as a petrol rocket engine, or maybe flamethrower!) cooker at the end you pumped it up and lit it and a flame roared along the trench, low simmer at one end and melt your pots at the other. I thought that was a No1 burner and the briefcase petrol stove, there were two sizes single and double, were called No2(and possibly No3 or 4?)burners?
The trailer they got later was a little safer to use, but that worked mainly on propane with a conversion for petrol and/or parafin.

It sounds like you are talking about Hydraburners. In the armoured engineers in the early 70's we would use them to melt the frozen nud on the tracks before we moved off in the mornings during winter exercises in Germany - well dodgy around a tank with over 200gal of petrol on. Blinding for cooking with but you couldnt get one into your backpack.

Cheers
Nick

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE