British army smock, need help!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Inky

Nov 4, 2012
Cambridge
Hi, this is my first post so apologies if I'm in the wrong place. I'm going through a bit of a smock meltdown as will become evident if you read on. I have a S95 ripstop smock that I have enjoyed wearing out in the woods for years (I gather from reading some of the threads about smocks they are not everyone's cup of tea). However, I am thinking of replacing it with a new windproof one in MTP camo. So far so good you might think. My problem is that there are (as we all know) several versions of the army smock post 95 and I like bits of each. I suspect that the windproof material is superior warmth and water-resistant wise to the ripstop? But I prefer not to have a hood attached. Moreover, I like not having the large toggle buttons covered up. All in all I'm thinking that the first versions of the MTP smock (basically the 2005 in MTP) might be the way to go... But I do like the hand warmer feature on the new ones. Lastly (I know, I'm sorry but I might as well get it all out) there is the issue of size . My S95 in 170/104. It's fine, maybe a tiny bit short in the arms. Has the cut remained the same, should I consider 180/104? Can anyone help ??

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Hello :) and welcome to the forum.

Sorry, I can't help with the smock, but there's bound to be someone who can :)
You did post your thread in the right bit though :D

cheers,
Toddy

little_leaf177

Tenderfoot
Oct 24, 2011
Liverpeewwll
Helikon do a combat Smock which fatures everything you are after (large toggles, hand warmer pockets, MTP-copy, Removable Hood). Theyre not cheap at the moment because genuine MTP is still classed as stolen property from the MOD. So anyone wearing Genuine MTP has come from a squaddie selling his kit etc.

Alternatively you look at the soldier 2000 smock. This is the same as the ripstop but in a windproof non ripstop material.
The new design of British MTP clothing is basically a copy of the US ACU design. - noit so good IMO...
regards #
Leaf...

Inky

Nov 4, 2012
Cambridge
Thanks for that Leaf, funnily enough I had just come across them myself when I saw your post. They are a bit pricy, about twice as much as the MTP army smock on e bay. Do you know if they are any good? Are they well made etc? Given that, as you say, they do seem to tick all my boxes I might well consider it even at 70 odd quid.
Cheers

Rabbitsmacker

Settler
Nov 23, 2008
Kings Lynn
Can't beat that ripstop jacket, love mine, better roomy fit than the newer ones. However, the sas windproof in any of its guises is unsurpassed. Light, soft, windproof, roomy, got a hood. Nuff said.

Inky

Nov 4, 2012
Cambridge
I did just that but it didn't really work out. They didn't have the two sizes I was considering! I'm liking the look of these Helikon filed parkers. Does anyone have one or know anything about them?
As for the SAS smock everyone seems to agree they are very good, I'm not sure I have ever seen one in the flesh and every British army smock seems to be advertised as SAS. How can you spot a real one?

Last edited:

Rabbitsmacker

Settler
Nov 23, 2008
Kings Lynn
Things to look for on a sas smock..
Hood permenantly attached and no collar inside.
good quality soft thin cotton, twill weave.
four pockets on the front, the chest pockets will either be level or tilted.
Poachers pocket inside at the back.
notepad pocket inside left.
velcro cuffs that adjust by a small tab not a long one.
no zipped chest pockets.
Seamless shoulders to reduce chafing.
sewn on buttons not Canadian slot type.
draw cords at waist and hem, no elastic originally.
pen pocket on left arm.
early versions have no ffd pocket on right arm, all issued type have ffd on right arm from about post Falklands.
if its brand new you need to know what you are looking for, if its second hand, a good indicator is damage. These smocks Frey at the cuffs.

the arctic version is identical, except it has a wired arctic hood, and rank tab on the front storm flap. Erly ones have a rank tab on the back between the shoulders too.
a lot of these have the wire removed from the hood to make them like the sas smock. However I wager if the smocks were issued the other way round the wired hood would be more desirable as the hood is actually quite good and is the type found on the current windproofs.

there was a very small number of the above sas smock in the windproof material your ripstop jacket is made from, very rare and the only type I haven't been able to find in my size, I would think its the most hardy of the bunch.

i am going to be selling a virtually new sas smock in 180/112 and a very rare desert dpm arctic smock wire removed in roughly a 170/104 if you are interested in either.

Last edited:

widu13

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 9, 2008
Ubique Quo Fas Et Gloria Ducunt
genuine MTP is still classed as stolen property from the MOD. So anyone wearing Genuine MTP has come from a squaddie selling his kit etc.

Correct.

However; there is talk in the industry from strong/reliable sources, that the retail licence for MTP has now been acquired and that disposal will commence in the New Year.

Inky

Nov 4, 2012
Cambridge
Thank you everyone for your input. I think i have narrowed it down to either the Helikon or the issue MTP (fist version, I have a fetish for big buttons that defies rational explanation). The attached hood does seem a bit of a hassle, which puts me off the issue smock, but it is cheaper. Be interested to know what people thought about quality of build and materials in respect to these two options?

Just as an aside, the army surplus shop in Cambridge is ok but pretty small. If anyone know of a really good surplus shop that's not too far away, would like to hear about it. Cheers.

sasquatch

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
I really like the new issue mtp smock. They're well though out in my opinion and have nice features. I also like the old green sass smock I have. Less features but great all the same. Both have fixed hoods but the mtp one can be rolled up and buttoned out of the way. Best of both worlds for me.

Inky

Nov 4, 2012
Cambridge
true dat brother.
I seem to have gone full circle with this issue now. Having at last tried on the new issue smock in the right size, it certainly does seem like a nice jacket. However, the covered buttons are just a no no. So i guess it really comes down to materials in the end. So a simple question for someone with experience of both; Is the windproof material really that windproof or water resistant compared with the ripstop material??

Last edited:

R.Lewis

Aug 23, 2009
Cambs
Only experience I have is with old school gaberdine Para smock and my current two which is a Ventile Sas smock clone and previous issue Desert smock. The desert smock is very windproof and with the coating very water resistant. However it has not been used much as its waiting to be dyed...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE