Britains Humming Bird

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I have posted this in my normal "Images from Hampshire" thread, but I thought, given that the thread in question always takes an age to load, that I'd give this picture a thread of its own.

I've been after a decent picture of this wee fellah for a while. A fantastic piece of nectar eating evolution - looks like a bee in flight, but its actually a fly - the aptly named "Bee-Fly".

Check out that proboscis!

451026983_9f80e5afe5_b.jpg

Red

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
England's most easterly point
I haven't noticed these before, even if I have seen them without knowing what they are(does that make any sense :confused: ) Are they native to this country or have they arrived recently. Very good photo, Red. How big is the beasty?

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Yup they are native - about half an inch long although in flight they are so similar to a bee they are hard to spot the oddly wedged shape is the giveaway though

They actually live as parastites in the nests of solitary bees where they eat the grubs and food stores.

Fantastic looking things though huh?

Red

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Cheers Red, I've never seen one :confused: totally new beastie to me.

Spotted wings always make me think about clegs :( miserable brutes :rant: :(

Toddy

Hiker

Tenderfoot
Jul 28, 2006
Liverpool
This is a new one to me too , ive seen a few humming bird moths down south as they migrate from europe but never even heard of theses .

Interesting thanks red .

chas brookes

Life Member
Jun 20, 2006
west sussex
I have seen these Bee Flys feeding on the nectar on a crab apple tree today, they are feeding alongside bees and hoverflies, but are much more selective in the flowers they are feeding on. I can only guess with their long proboscis they can reach nectar the other insects can not

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Happy to try Jon - I'm not sure I have ever seen one tbh but I'll go for it.

Got some nice insect shots today!

Red

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE