Brilliant bushcraft knife.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Aug 27, 2017
lincs
The Condor Hudson Bay knife has a 8.5" Carbon blade 3 1/16 thick and13" long. It's a belter, and does everything I need for a trekking outdoor knife. It will act as a small axe so strong is the blade, it will cut kindling and shave as well as any small knife I own. It can be sharpened to a very fine edge, and keeps that edge for a long time.
If you like a Bowie style knife, I suggest this would really tickle your fancy as it has the heft in the blade end, just like a Bowie does.
The large size does not bother me weight wise (1.28lb) as I don't carry stuff too far like some will. Also I don't build shelters, having good enough shelters with me. If like me you want something in the bag for a NOT-SURE situation this is ideal. Just be sure to give it a good oil on the blade and some oil on the handle if your putting it away for a while. £60-£70 ish for such a gem as this that will last a persons lifetime. 5 star from me.

It's clear I don't have the skills to insert the image I'd like, sorry but Hennie sell this knife with an excellent service on delivery and returns. Rich.

condor-hudson-bay-knife

Kadushu

If Carlsberg made grumpy people...
Jul 29, 2014
Kent
Hudson Bay knives are a style all of their own and predate Nessmuk by some decades. Both types of knife were derived from simple butcher knives but developed in virtually opposite directions according to their requirements.

Nessmuk was a recreational camper and focused on lightweight gear, thus he shortened the design of a typical butcher knife but retained the basic shape for strength and utility. Nessmuk caught frogs, fish and small game, so didn't require the size of knife used for processing big game. He also carried a double bit hatchet for wood cutting tasks.

The Hudson Bay knife was designed as a big chopper used by fur trappers as a kind of crossover between knife and hatchet, capable of lopping off branches and splitting wood but also able to do finer camp tasks. Heft for wood processing and strength for reliability were the order of the day if men were to trust their lives on these knives out in the Canadian wilderness.

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
Nessmuk writes he used his fixed blade for cutting up mest, skimning and eating. His folder he used for other camp duties.

The shape of a butchers knife and its smaller version, the Nessmuk knife, is very suitable to break down any animal.

A too large knife just gets in the way, IMO.

Reactions: bigbear

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
The HBC knife would be good for fleshing hides until you got a tool made from a femur bone.
Cut the trees for the stretching frame. Probably cut the thong as well.
For small work, most eastern fur traders and natives turned to the Mocotaugan design.

Modern big game field dressing here needs several blades, 4" is good. Bowie knives are Hollywood.
Then my neighbor uses a reciprocating battery saw to quarter the beasts. Quick.
16" chain saw running on Mazola (corn oil) is popular, too.
The HBC knife would be just about as good in the sternum and spine.

bigbear

May 1, 2008
Yorkshire
Nessmuk writes he used his fixed blade for cutting up mest, skimning and eating. His folder he used for other camp duties.

The shape of a butchers knife and its smaller version, the Nessmuk knife, is very suitable to break down any animal.

A too large knife just gets in the way, IMO.

Small and sharp every time !

Reactions: Janne

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE