brickwork waterproofing liquid...could i use it, to proof cheep waterproofs?

RAPPLEBY2000

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 2, 2003
England
Hi I have a large container of Clear (identical to water) liquid designed to be painted or sprayed onto brickwork to waterproof the bricks.

my question, would it work to proof cheep NON breathable waterproofs? or ponchos/ tarps etc?

I bought it from B&Q for £5 for about 20 liters.

suffice to say I have loads left over, it's going to take years to use it up!....what to do with it?

Nagual

Native
Jun 5, 2007
Argyll
I've used Thompson Water Seal, which is designed for the same thing, as a proofer for home made tarps. I've found that it really needs several coats, with each allowed to dry fully, to be effective though. And oh dear God, the smell... lol definately an outdoor job.. :)

Radix lecti

Native
Jan 15, 2006
Gloucester
I have mates who have used it on work jackets on site and say its ok, i have only ever used it on brickwork . They say its better sprayed on fabric rather than painted,and when outside dont get it on your car ,it also kills grass too. Cheers.
Daz

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
Don't know about putting it on cottons like the polish tent thing, it may do damage.
I'm going to be spraying a pair of work trousers that have lost a fair bit of the pu coating so I can't really make it any worse! lol

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I think there was talk of Thompsons changing their formula recently and now it's no too good for fabrics? A few guys mentioned it in the Polish Lavvu thread if I remember right.

Nagual

Native
Jun 5, 2007
Argyll
You might be right there Rich, as the tin I had mentioned using on sleeping bags! The new tins in shops don't mention fabric at all. This may just be a marketing thing though, as perhaps people complained they didn't get a result from using it on fabric.

It will more than likely do 2 things to any fabric - darken it a shade or 3, and increase the weight a bit too. Also it may effect the flexability and feel of it too.

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
hm...doesn't seem to have done anything.
seems to soak up water just as fast.

perhaps a 2nd coat?

Nagual

Native
Jun 5, 2007
Argyll
It's a bit odd that you say there isn't a smell? What is it like, the overall look and consistency etc? I've searched the B&Q website looking for a brickwork sealer called Clear, but not found one.. although that may well be my Sunday morning searchability eyes not working.. :D

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
I'll have a look on the container in the morning.
it looks like water, some white staining around the container.

starting to wonder if they sold me water! lol

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE