brew shops in scotland

riggers

Forager
Jan 13, 2009
newmains scotland
hi all just wandering if anybody new whear i could get brewing stuff in central scotland live in newmains looking for some demy johns and rewers yeast any help would be greatly appreciated

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
There used to be a lad had a shop in the Argyle Market in Glasgow; he moved out to the Paisley Road West, no idea if he's still there though. He was very good, carried an excellent range of stuff and was very knowledgeable.

I'll have a look around and see if I can find any up to date details.
There was also a very good shop in Stirling iirc.

In the meantime, if it gets urgent, I've got eight demijohns in the loft.

cheers,
Toddy

p.s. Looks like it was Dunbarton Road, http://www.innhousebrewery.co.uk/index.php

hiho

Native
Mar 15, 2007
South Yorkshire
just though not all of em stock it... but you can order it from wilko+ and pick it up at a store, or order it in store and go back pick it up in 3 days. going to try nettle beer and birch sap wine, can't taste as bad as the mild kit i brewed :(

gregorach

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
If you're just looking for demijohns and yeast, you may as well try on Freecycle for the demis and just order the yeast online or by phone.

If you're looking a proper homebrew shop, especially if you're interesting in all-grain brewing, then I can't recommend Edina Homebrew highly enough - excellent range of stock, very good advice, and Davie's a right character too. I'm in there every other week or so, and it's often more like a clubhouse than a shop...

riggers

Forager
Jan 13, 2009
newmains scotland
thanks guys but i have managed to get some bits and bobs still looking for couple of demi johns and yeast and a good recipy for elder flower wine ad birtch sap wine

gregorach

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
Sorry, been taking some time off, haven't seen this until now. Surprised British Red hasn't shown up, he's the real wine maker... I'm just a brewer, but I can get by. ;)

This is my basic Elderflower wine:

About 1 pint (half a jug, not pressed down) elderflowers, washed and de-stalked
1kg sugar
375 Raisins
Juice of 1 lemon

Chuck in a bucket (preferably lined with clean muslin), and add 1 gallon of boiling water, and allow to cool overnight. Strain and add one teaspoon of Pectolase, if you've got it. It's not absolutely necessary... Chuck in one packet of white wine yeast. Some will say you should rehydrate the yeast first, or start it off in either orange juice or some of the "must" (the liquid you're going to ferment into wine) and it's probably a good idea - but you can get away with just chucking it in the bucket.

Leave to ferment in the bucket for a week or so, and then rack it into a demijohn and fit an airlock. Leave to ferment (ideally around 18 degrees) for another month or so. Then rack it again into another demijohn, and ideally add some wine stabiliser. Shake up that demijohn several times a day for a few days to get as much of the dissolved CO2 out as possible, then add finings (or simply wait for a few months, rack, wait, rack...) Let it clear for a few days, then rack it again. If you want to put a real polish on it, run it through a Vinbrite wine filter. Now you're ready to bottle.

Usual homebrew rules apply - keep everything scrupulously clean, and sanitise everything that's going to come into contact with the wine - VWP, Milton Fluid, dilute plain bleach, or Sodium Metabisulphide will all do the job. Rinse any chlorine-based sanitisers thoroughly. I use VWP for all my homebrew sanitisation, and rinse at least 3 times.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE