Brecon Beacons wild camping?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

caninesapien

Jan 4, 2017
South Wales
Hi all

Very amateur camper here - never done any wild camping but I want to rectify that this year!

I know a few spots I love to go in the Brecon Beacons (just north of Pontsticill, near Aber Village/Abercynafon, or possibly further west towards the Taf Fechan forest car park. I wondered if anyone had any experience with this? I understand that wild camping is not technically legal in Wales, but permission from the landowner would be fine... i'm just not sure who the landowner (if any!) would be? Any ideas or advice?

Thanks!

Pioneer72

Tenderfoot
Aug 30, 2016
Shropshire
They used to allow a semi-wild camp (i.e. no facilities) at LLech Llia (grid ref SN922193) but even that doesn't seem listed on the National Parks website any more so no idea if its still official.

I have been to http://glynymulfarm.co.uk camping as a base for days in the Beacons - you can camp in the woods by the river and have a fire. Its a bit south of the Beacons but its a very nice spot all the same.

Dark Horse Dave

Apr 5, 2007
Surrey / South West London
There was a post on Facebook the other day advertising a farm 10 mins from Pen y Fan. I'm not sure how to post a link to it and there's no website, only a phone number. I can send it to you via PM if you like?

Sent from my E2003 using Tapatalk

bearbait

There's a bothy at the NW end of Grwyne Fawr Reservoir in the Black Mountains, the eastern end of the N.P. I believe that is readily usable. But you may have to share.

If you're going at this time of year the nights are long so you may find it best to get all your admin sorted before dark: cooking, eating, clearing up, etc. It's generally easier that way!

Have a great trip...

Bishop

Jan 25, 2014
Pencader
I would highly recommend Glyn-Mul farm just outside Neath. It's easy to reach, only £6 a night and it's not uncommon to find yourself completely alone in the woodland at this time of year. The only thing you cannot do there is cut down trees, deadfalls however are fair game. So basically a nice little spot to practice in relative safety.

caninesapien

Jan 4, 2017
South Wales
Hi all

Thanks so much for the replies. I went to Glyn y Mul last year and thought it was fantastic. Will definitely be going there again. For those that have been, do you have recommendations for how far into the site you've been? I went with friends in July and we didn't have much time to find a spot so we walked maybe 400yds south of where you cross the railway tracks. Has anyone been much further west or north from the train tracks?

Cheers

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE