breakfast ball ration

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Hello everybody,

For my trips i like traveling light, this implies bringing dehydrated food. It means rice, pastas, semolina and flour. However this aliments need to be cook, by adding boiling water. There is 2 common ways (fire or gas) but this takes time, fuel, and may leave sign of activity.
This is the reason why I turned on aliments you can eat during your travel, without stopping, or making a short break.

I thought to all powder or dehydrated food we usually use. What comes to me : oat flakes, instant mashed potato, dehydrated fruits, seeds, powder milk and cake ...
I calculated all the calories per 100gr of theses ingredient, which is very high. Then I needed something to sticking together. I choose honey and almond paste.

Let see this table where I wrote the energy of each ingredient.

(I put a little bit more of almond paste because they was too much powder and the mixture didn't agglutinate.)

First step:
Pour all the ingredient in a large bowl and mix well.

Second step:

When the paste start to agglutinate, take some into your hand and make a ball with it.

(I add a little bit of water at the end because I hadn't as much almond paste. Be sure to dry your ball correctly after.)

That's ready to eat !
For my part, I conserve it on aluminum foil or cellophane paper.
I've got 396 x 4 = 1600kcal with these 5 balls, according the table above. That means nearly 320kcal per ball. I suppose that two should be sufficient for a breakfast.

You can taste right now just like that on the morning. Or add a bit of boil water :
break the ball into little parts and add the water on it.

If you add a lot of water it looks like a soup, or if you add not so much, you can make a sort of consistent porridge as I did.
Let rest the bowl 2-3 minutes in order to let the dough swells and sets of the volume.

Delicious when it's hot, ready for a long walking day !

Eventually, if you don't like almond paste, I propose you to do the same with pruns or figs.

However this ball will be a little bit more sticky.

Bye bye and bon appetite :)

rorymax

Settler
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Not only interesting, but fascinating too, I wonder if any other recipes of this type will show up.

Well done jacob karhu:)

Joonsy

Native
Jul 24, 2008
UK
For my trips i like traveling light, this implies bringing dehydrated food. It means rice, pastas, semolina and flour. However this aliments need to be cook, by adding boiling water. There is 2 common ways (fire or gas) but this takes time, fuel, and may leave sign of activity.
This is the reason why I turned on aliments you can eat during your travel, without stopping, or making a short break

Not only interesting, but fascinating too

persoanlly i like to stop and take a short break, and long ones too, i travel light too but don't consider cooking food is a waste of time, in fact i enjoy it, therefore sorry but i find it neither interesting nor fascinating.

widu13

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 9, 2008
Ubique Quo Fas Et Gloria Ducunt
What people forget is that if you take the time to cook and dry pasta and rice before hand it will hydrate even when cold. If you have a hot brew during a stop, use hot water and a cosy for hot food later. Obviously freeze dried foods are already cooked, so don't pre cook those!

rorymax

Settler
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
persoanlly i like to stop and take a short break, and long ones too, i travel light too but don't consider cooking food is a waste of time, in fact i enjoy it, therefore sorry but i find it neither interesting nor fascinating.

I too enjoy cooking and making an enjoyable meal, it can be on my own or with others when we pitch in to make a little (or occasionally big) feast of what we have and subject to what our skills permit us to achieve.

I like the idea of trail mixes and preserved foods, something I have not tried to make or eat yet is dried fish with fruits and nuts and meal, or boxtee\boxty, it may be they won't all taste particularly good but I do like to experiment and try.

My wife is such a good cook that I can barely bring myself to go to a restaurant, the chances of me being disappointed are very high, I will pretty much try anything (and I have tried some odd things-most of which have been surprisingly acceptable or good).

I think that what I am trying to say is that I would like to try more trail\dried\preserved food type foods, I know that human ingenuity must have come up with some fantastic options, I just wanna try them, there should be a trail food convention (I will do sampling and judging for free - big of me - yes).

Now I feel hungry again, see what you started I do love food mmmmmn.

@ Rorymax,
Of courses recipes are as various as your imagination ! You can cook up all sort of rations, depending to your taste, preference, or allergies.

@Joonsy,
Me too i like cooking, and enjoying my meal for the midday or the evening. Nevertheless, during a walking trip and early on the morning, when i pack my bag, i don't have the time going to the river, re-light a fire, wait for boil a quarter of water and finally can eat my breakfast.
This is the case when i'm making sort of hiking trail. For sure in a bushcraft camp i take my time and allow me to cook a bannock.
Moreover, if instead of waking up very early (to contemplate the sun rising or wildlife) i also can take my time, add a boil water and enjoy my meal.
The advantage is that i can choose my way of preparation. As is, if i'm in a hurry, or cooked, if i'm not.

@widu13
I agree that preprepared food hydrate your body by the same way, but it's the same case for people who take a cereal bar for breakfast. You have to hydrate you more often.
By speaking of cereal bars, i noticed that they provide nearly the same quantity of calories. So why making our ones rations ?
Because you simply choose what you put in it, and may taste better ...

@Rorymax (again)
I also made some rations by sticking rice and other aliments, such as mushrooms, smoked fish, or berries. Not always tasty, but perfect for expedition when you not have time to cook.
For my next post i would like to present the same rations, but for midday or evening. Something like rice balls i have ever experimented, or a sort of pemmican (ever experimented too).

Thanks for the comments guys,
J-K

rorymax

Settler
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
To jacob karhu,

Pemican, I could not remember the name for what I was trying to describe, thank you for reminding me, something I want to experiment some more with, when I have the knowledge.

I would look forward to your suggestions for rations and ideas.

As for your English: you are doing just fine, mon ami.

Looking forward to any recipe(s) you can provide for pemican.

rorymax

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE