Bread on the trail

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

dodss

Dec 1, 2009
Lincolnshire
I would like to hear of any successful recipes in bread making;ot point me in the direction of some recipes.

On my long distance treks I miss bread to eat with the pasta meals.I have various logan and bannock bread recipes and a QiWiz heat diffuser for baking on an alky stove. I am a minimalist hiker so don't carry woks and dutch ovens though I could carry those in my Berlingo sleeping set up.
Alternatively is it best to stick with bagels and crispbreads.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Old fashioned soda bread works very well indeed.

Soda farls are simply made on a girdle (use a flattish pan) and you only need flour, water, a little salt, baking soda and something acidic in the liquid to make the soda give off the little bubbles that make the bread airy. Buttermilk or sour milk is usual, but you can use left over beer, or just add some tartaric acid or citric acid (or a squirt of lemon juice, or squeeze some rowans or crab apples), stir quickly, don't knead as such because the bubbles start forming the moment the liquids hit the baking soda in the flour, pat tidily into the pan and bake.
Two pans, the inner one with the bread in it, resting on a few stones set in the base of the larger pan. Put the lid on and bake on the fire. It makes a de facto oven quite tidily, and the bread cooks quickly too.

You can add whatever you forage to the bread as well. wild fruits, or sliced ransoms, wild marjoram….depends what you have where you are and when you're there :D

You need weight (or volume if you're using a mug) for weight of flour and (acidic) liquid, a teaspoonful of bicarb and one of salt is ample in a big crusader cup or Ti mug. If you're using cream of tartar you need twice as much of that as the bicarb.

cheers,
Toddy

Alan 13~7

Settler
Oct 2, 2014
Prestwick, Scotland
I would like to hear of any successful recipes in bread making;ot point me in the direction of some recipes.

On my long distance treks I miss bread to eat with the pasta meals.I have various logan and bannock bread recipes and a QiWiz heat diffuser for baking on an alky stove. I am a minimalist hiker so don't carry woks and dutch ovens though I could carry those in my Berlingo sleeping set up.
Alternatively is it best to stick with bagels and crispbreads.

I supose it depends how much effort you want to put in but it is easier than you might think to bake on the trail you can bake a decent size loaf in around an hour with 60 mls of alcohol or I am told 8 t~light candles... there are plenty of utoob vids on the subject the principle is the same...

500gram bag granary bread mix, by Alan 13-7, on Flickr

Trangia granary bread by Alan 13-7, on Flickr

this is my set up & result for bread test first attempt... I was pleasantly surprised at the results... full instructions here...

https://www.flickr.com/groups/baking_with_trangia/discuss/72157637969633905/

Last edited:

pysen78

Forager
Oct 10, 2013
Stockholm
Good on you! Out of doors, expect differences in heat. The low burner setting combined with wind chill will spoil it a bit, I think.
Might work with a full burner, slightly higher heat and half the bread mix?
Have fun experimenting. Also the griddle can be replaced by three pepples.

Alan 13~7

Settler
Oct 2, 2014
Prestwick, Scotland
Good on you! Out of doors, expect differences in heat. The low burner setting combined with wind chill will spoil it a bit, I think.
Might work with a full burner, slightly higher heat and half the bread mix?
Have fun experimenting. Also the griddle can be replaced by three pepples.

Why so serious? "Also the griddle can be replaced by three pepples" I don't see how that might work? A griddle might be replaced by an upturned frying pan perhaps... do you mean grill & pebbles perhaps?

Doing tests indoors demonstrates the principle & possibility of a small alcohol fueled oven under perfect conditions, it's not an exact science its just a bit of fun...

There was a thread by a fellow called PineMartyn who while on his canoe trips... has successfully baked out of doors for years & He uses the three pebbles & trangia 25 & 2 pot method..., it was He who first inspired me to give it a go... My grill also doubles as a pot stand for my Bialettie coffee pot used in conjunction with my trangia 25...
Experimenting is fun & Yes it's a given as in all outdoor cooking wind chill and ambient temperature sheltered position ETC. has to be taken in to account?
When I switched from meths to bio ethanol out of doors test results for bread were altogether different again. My B&Q Bio ethanol burns quite a bit hotter than meths my bread was cooked in about 2/3 rds of the time... Using same amount of fuel & time my bread was almost burnt but still edible. I've since successfully made perfectly edible bread out of doors on more than one occasion.... so I can confirm using my method out of doors you don't need to half the bread mix & it most definitely does work very well....

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Thats Wrights is good stuff to use.

Good little video from Ray on this subject.

[video=youtube;4ksyivTxZzw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ksyivTxZzw[/video]

Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
500gram bag granary bread mix, by Alan 13-7, on Flickr

this is my set up & result for bread test first attempt... I was pleasantly surprised at the results... full instructions here...

https://www.flickr.com/groups/baking_with_trangia/discuss/72157637969633905/

Alan, what's the consistency like, as it looke a little bit heavy from the flickerphotos, or is that afte the rise? I am not really sure of the size of the trangia 25 pans so I do not know for sure. Is 500g a good ammount for the pan?

Alan 13~7

Settler
Oct 2, 2014
Prestwick, Scotland
Alan, what's the consistency like, as it looke a little bit heavy from the flickerphotos, or is that afte the rise? I am not really sure of the size of the trangia 25 pans so I do not know for sure. Is 500g a good ammount for the pan?

I use the 2 trangia billys the large as the oven with lid on & the small one as a loaf tin (no lid)

trangia billys by Alan 13-7, on Flickr
It's moist & light like store bought only better, I don't know how long it would keep for. Mine only ever lasted a couple of hours. Personally I think its better than one made in the house oven. Possibly because it's slow baked @lower temp maybe. The one in the previous post picture baked until it was the full size of the smaller billy & square on top I've not had any 2 loafs that were exactly the same, they are usually not quite as big as the one in the first post. This one is more rounded I don't know quite why... always moist but never heavy... over kneading makes them heavy apparently...

Last edited:
Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
I use the 2 billys the large as the oven with lid & the small one as loaf tin (no lid)
It's moist light like store bought only better, I don't know how long it would keep for mine only ever lasted a couple of hours. personal I think its better than one made in the house oven. possibly because it's slow baked @lower temp maybe the one in the previous post picture baked till it was the full size of the smaller billy square on top I've not had 2 any loafs exactly the same they are usually not quite as big like this one it's more rounded I don't know quite why... but never heavy over kneading makes them heavy apparently...
That's good then (it'll be the 2.5l and the 4.5l billys? )
How do you go abou getting it to rise?

Alan 13~7

Settler
Oct 2, 2014
Prestwick, Scotland
That's good then (it'll be the 2.5l and the 4.5l billys? )
How do you go abou getting it to rise?

pretty much follow the instructions on the packet mix/kneed as directed, put in loaf tin (wee billy) with the lid on sit in a warm place (not you the billy)(in the sun maybe rotate for even rise) allow to rise about 30- 45 min before removing wee lid & baking... simples it will rise a little more while baking . Important don't peek during baking keeps the temp up!

Last edited:
Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
pretty much follow the instructions on the packet mix/kneed as directed, put in loaf tin (wee billy) with the lid on sit in a warm place (not you the billy)(in the sun maybe rotate for even rise) allow to rise about 30- 45 min before removing wee lid & baking... simples it will rise a little more while baking . Important don't peek during baking keeps the temp up!

I can't find the pinemartyn thread, or a member called pine martyn, there are members called pinemartin, pinemarten, martyn and many other variations.

Are you using a trangia 25 or 27, as I've had a quick look and the 4.5l billy should fit inside the trangia 25 I think rather than ontop, that may cut down the baking time and fuel used ?

Alan 13~7

Settler
Oct 2, 2014
Prestwick, Scotland
I can't find the pinemartyn thread, or a member called pine martyn, there are members called pinemartin, pinemarten, martyn and many other variations.

Are you using a trangia 25 or 27, as I've had a quick look and the 4.5l billy should fit inside the trangia 25 I think rather than ontop, that may cut down the baking time and fuel used ?

Here he is on flickr I think the thread I first saw him on was on USA bushcraft...

https://www.flickr.com/photos/35874...cMU-hKgeC9-6qZpPo-6YVnRZ-hrZveA-8MND9T-8MRGos

its the 25 I use the slow bake is probably important for bread to make it rise properly & to cook all the way through I don't think its something you can rush really... one fill with the simmer ring fully open is usually enough to cook 500g loaf fill burner to the brim don't wait for it to bloom put bread on as soon as it is lit even at that distance away ie legs up frying mode the pan (probably because of the diameter) heat builds & it gets hot enough to bake a nice crispy loaf... there is not much Air space around the pot it does work well... its also works for pizza mix except miss out the wait for it to rise stage go mix/Kneed top cook...

Trangia Pizza by Alan 13-7, on Flickr

dodss

Dec 1, 2009
Lincolnshire
Thanks great info.I have couple of stoves with a long simmer, which think what is required, one the FeatherFire. I have succeeded with what the Americans probably would call biscuits.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
If your going minimal then I'd not mess about baking and just take pitta bread, you can eat cold/briefly warm in a dry pan.

pysen78

Forager
Oct 10, 2013
Stockholm
Why so serious? "Also the griddle can be replaced by three pepples" I don't see how that might work? A griddle might be replaced by an upturned frying pan perhaps... do you mean grill & pebbles perhaps?

Doing tests indoors demonstrates the principle & possibility of a small alcohol fueled oven under perfect conditions, it's not an exact science its just a bit of fun...

There was a thread by a fellow called PineMartyn who while on his canoe trips... has successfully baked out of doors for years & He uses the three pebbles & trangia 25 & 2 pot method..., it was He who first inspired me to give it a go... My grill also doubles as a pot stand for my Bialettie coffee pot used in conjunction with my trangia 25...
Experimenting is fun & Yes it's a given as in all outdoor cooking wind chill and ambient temperature sheltered position ETC. has to be taken in to account?
When I switched from meths to bio ethanol out of doors test results for bread were altogether different again. My B&Q Bio ethanol burns quite a bit hotter than meths my bread was cooked in about 2/3 rds of the time... Using same amount of fuel & time my bread was almost burnt but still edible. I've since successfully made perfectly edible bread out of doors on more than one occasion.... so I can confirm using my method out of doors you don't need to half the bread mix & it most definitely does work very well....

I'm sorry, Alan. I think my response came across as critisism. Far from it. I think actually getting out of the armchair and trying out ones ideas, deserves high praise in this day and age. I interpreted your post as you were in the starting out of experimenting with this, and merely wanted to prepare you for any dissappointment when trying it in outdoors. Not much call for that it seems.

And yes I think I meant "grill" as in the computer-fan-cover pot-stand thingy you used to raise the inner pot from the outer. That's what can be replaced by three pebbles. The Joke's on me for trying to type on the fly in a second language! :p

bearbait

... or tortillas/wraps, which stow very nicely between an Orikaso plate and the back of your pack.

I would second the flour tortillas. I've used them extensively in camp and they seem to keep well (reasonably freshish) for some time. They also seem to me to be more flexible than bread on the trail (in the culinary rather than mechanical sense).

I have them as backup at home too for when I forget to bake.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE