Brassicas

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Geoff Dann

Native
Sep 15, 2010
Sussex
www.geoffdann.co.uk
Can anybody help me out with identifying wild-growing brassicas in the UK? It feels pretty hopeless at the moment. Sea kale and wild cabbage are easy. The problems come when I start trying tell the difference between white mustard, black mustard, "field mustard" (rape) and charlock. They all look very similar, and apparently they also hybridise with commercial rape crops.

Is there a way to make this easier?

Does anybody forage for these plants?

boatman

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
The ease of hybridisation and the numbers of brassicas in this country make it crazy to develop GM rapeseed. It has already escaped into the wild despite the agri experts saying it could not.

The Big Lebowski

Aug 11, 2010
Sunny Wales!
Charlock is pretty easy to ID once you've seen it a few times. Black or treacle mustard slightly harder. Then you have hedge mustard (looks like smooth leaf sowthistle).

That's just the easy ones :p

xylaria

Telling the four apart is a tough call. I nearly always have to refer a field guide. I picked up w.keble martin =consice guide of british flora, for free from really good charity called books for free in carmarthen. They are connected with the tool charity harvestmen does stuff witrh and freecycle.

The big feature with brassicas is the seed pods. Black mustard =seed pods are small and point upwards very close to the dark stem. White mustard = seed pods are sword shaped, charlock= imature seed pods have a bobble on the end, rape [nepa]= there is leaf at the bottom of the peduncle [flower cluster] turnip [rapa]= also a leaf at the bottom of the peduncle but the peducle is longer. any combo= say it is hybred.

There is limit to how much mustard leaves you should eat in one go. the seeds on most of them are a very good flavouring, sea radish seeds are really powerful tasting, and are very interesting addition for mustard like suprises. I like rape leaves, but I only eat moderatly, as the taste is quite strong.

Geoff Dann

Native
Sep 15, 2010
Sussex
www.geoffdann.co.uk
Telling the four apart is a tough call. I nearly always have to refer a field guide. I picked up w.keble martin =consice guide of british flora, for free from really good charity called books for free in carmarthen. They are connected with the tool charity harvestmen does stuff witrh and freecycle.

The big feature with brassicas is the seed pods. Black mustard =seed pods are small and point upwards very close to the dark stem. White mustard = seed pods are sword shaped, charlock= imature seed pods have a bobble on the end, rape [nepa]= there is leaf at the bottom of the peduncle [flower cluster] turnip [rapa]= also a leaf at the bottom of the peduncle but the peducle is longer. any combo= say it is hybred.

There is limit to how much mustard leaves you should eat in one go. the seeds on most of them are a very good flavouring, sea radish seeds are really powerful tasting, and are very interesting addition for mustard like suprises. I like rape leaves, but I only eat moderatly, as the taste is quite strong.

Cheers. That helps a bit. I think I need to just observe them throughout the summer and watch closely when the seed pods start appearing. I've got plenty of other stuff to keep me occupied. I'm going to try collecting wild lettuce sap for medicinal usage today!

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Geoff, I saw these and thought of you. I think I know what they are, but will see what you think before I say.
IMGP1371.jpg
IMGP1372.jpgIMGP1373.jpg

Habitat was a riverbank, at the edge of a recreational area at the edge of town.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE