Braided / woven leather lanyards

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Does anyone know anyone who sells woven / braided leather knife lanyards? Its for a knife and needs to be fine enough to pass through a 6mm lanyard tube. Ideally to be finished in a small carved acorn bead / toggle. I'm looking for something really nicely made and am happy to pay "craftsman" rates :)

I think theres one on the shelf near the hens teeth :rolleyes:

Any advice of help would be gratefully received

TIA guys

Red

H

Heathenpeddler

Can't help you with that Red but do you know of a tutorial where I can learn the technique?

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I have seen one somewhere....hence the question. I remember seeing some pictures that were cracking work. As someone who uses a lanyard I'd really like a quality one for my new knife :)

Red

Butchd

Forager
Feb 20, 2007
Surrey
That sounds interesting, and I'll be watching for replies. What sort of length are you looking at Red, not that I'm able to offer, but it would be something I'm interested in learning about - and I know a couple of whip makers who I'm sure could offer me some alternative ideas or skills.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Arond 8" or so mate...a braid with a knife loop, then a wrist loop, another braid and a toggle. So handy to avoid putting your knife down and gives great control when choking up.

Helps in wathdrawing safely from a deep pouch sheath too!

Red

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
Red,

It might be worth talking to Buckshot. I haven't seen anyone selling that sort of work here but I've seen Mark's work and he's a dab hand at it.

The tutorial you've seen may either be his or Schwert's on OMF.

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
Very nice of you to say so Stew thanks
The review I did was of my baldric strap and a turks head knot
And tbh Iif I can do it OK it can't be that dificult...

BR - If you want some kangaroo leather PM me, I'll sort a length out for you

Cheers

Mark

nickg

Settler
May 4, 2005
Chatham
The problem is that you really need the knife to braid the lanyard onto. Generally you start braiding in the middle, pass it through the lanyard hole then bring the ends together and braid it on - viz
P1010001-1.jpg

P1010003-2.jpg

P1010004-2.jpg

P1010006-1.jpg

The only other way would be to braid a small loop in one end and pass it through the hole then thread the end through it.

Do you have any idea how youd fix it

Nick

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Nick,

thats a good point - I was thinking as you said that I'd pass a narrow loop through the tube and pass that entire lanyard through the loop.

Thanks for the offer Mark. If I fail to find anyone talented, I might well take you up on it!

I saw Bushwacker Bob had done some nice braiding in the pub last night so I may flutter my eyelashes for a lesson:D

Red

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
No worries, I would offer myself but I've got 10m of ventile material that I'm turning into a pair of trousers and a jacket or two, plus a load of leather that's just shouting to be made into some moccs - and a few other bits and bobs as well - all by the summer moot hopefully :confused:
I'd be alright if I didn't have two jobs aswell !!!!

Mark

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
No probs mate - I'll look forward to seeing the Ventile output - we are just finishing the pattern for mine :D

weaver

Settler
Jul 9, 2006
North Carolina, USA
Red,

My brother in law does that kind of work as a hobby. He has made many beautiful works of leather and a very nice watch fob for me. If you could send me a sketch of what you would like I'm sure he can braid it for you.

8thsinner

Nomad
Dec 12, 2005
London
I am used to working with very thin and small thongs.
I cut them from pig skin, and my thongs usually end up a fraction thinner than 1/8th of an inch.

Get a full spec drawing and I will give you some options.
I think, though I would have to test it, but I can probably skive down and give you an 8 strand braid in 6mm, certain it would be easy enough for me to make strand round braids that thin.

I generally do not favour using wooden toggles, prefering to work with all leather parts, but if you have a toggle there, send me a pic and I can work on some variations.

8thsinner

Nomad
Dec 12, 2005
London
Heres an example I just uploaded.
It was a necklace for a very close friend of mine, during a difficult time.
Designed to be a perfect fit and sealed fit.

The button knot is a gaucho. and the thongs, 1.5mm pig skin.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE