Braided belt help

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
I like it. It is amazing the things I have learnt already on this site, I wish I had known of its existence earlier. I have a reel of para cord, olive, and an old SA80 rifle sling which I am sure could be used to make a 1" belt, although I don't know if this would be too slim. Any ideas?

spamel said:
I like it. It is amazing the things I have learnt already on this site, I wish I had known of its existence earlier. I have a reel of para cord, olive, and an old SA80 rifle sling which I am sure could be used to make a 1" belt, although I don't know if this would be too slim. Any ideas?
Hmm...inch might be a bot narrow for a comfortable belt, but would make a good strap for some equipment though

match

Settler
Sep 29, 2004
Edinburgh
Just got around to making a belt following this method, and it rocks! I used a single karabiner as the start and finish point, so its not adjustable, but two karabiners would also work well.

Couple of useful hints - firstly don't be tempted to make too many loops across the way until you are used to the technique, as more loops makes it more fiddly to get the idea - start with three loops and its easier to learn.

Secondly, get a tool with a loop on the end - I used a tyre lever from my bike, but anything at all would work - without it its just too fiddly to make it neatly.

I'll post some pics of the finished belt and maybe some detail of the work in progress later.

Stevie

Tenderfoot
Feb 21, 2005
Kidderminster
match said:
Secondly, get a tool with a loop on the end - I used a tyre lever from my bike, but anything at all would work - without it its just too fiddly to make it neatly.

I'll post some pics of the finished belt and maybe some detail of the work in progress later.

Would a large Crochet hook work? :confused:

match

Settler
Sep 29, 2004
Edinburgh
Would a large Crochet hook work? :confused:

I guess so - when you're making it, you need somthing to push through each loop ont he return, and then something hook-like on the end to hook the loose cord and pull it back through the loops you've gathered. A bit of appropriately bent wire would be good, as would a bit of whittled stick...

I'll get some pics taken at some point and break down the construction method a bit more than is on the original website for anyone who is still confused...

Stevie

Tenderfoot
Feb 21, 2005
Kidderminster
How about one of these:-

Carpethook.jpg

I found it whilst raiding SWMBO's craft boxes. It's used to make carpets, only £1.99 from hobby shops! The small hinged piece of metal closes the gap on the hook when you pull it backwards. Going to try it when I get home tonight. :D

match

Settler
Sep 29, 2004
Edinburgh
that looks just about right actually - although I'd probably take off the hanging flap, since you have to both push and pull it through the knots, and it might get annoying if it kept getting caught.

Stevie

Tenderfoot
Feb 21, 2005
Kidderminster
I tried this earlier and it does work :D Getting the tension right needs a bit of practice but it doesn't look bad...only problem is I've run out of para-cord after making abour 4" :( I'll have to get some more but at least it works ;)

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
match said:
that looks just about right actually - although I'd probably take off the hanging flap, since you have to both push and pull it through the knots, and it might get annoying if it kept getting caught.

Surely the whole point of having the flap is to stop it getting caught! :confused:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE