bracket fugus

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

maverix

Forager
May 16, 2005
North Devon coast
just back from a dog walk where i found an old stump covered in artists bracket (tho' i didnt think they got as big as the mother of them all) the area around was coated in spores so deep it looked like a ton of cocoa powder had been dropped on the area.

I was impressed enuff to go back with a camera and get these

artistfungus.jpg
[/IMG]

this one was a good metre across

underfungus.jpg

just to check, are people interested in finds like these or should i keep my boyish excitement to myself?

maverix

Forager
May 16, 2005
North Devon coast
was going to try a bit as tinder ill have a play and post any interesting findings, also got a horse hoof off the same tree

tho SWMBO took a piece to try her hand at etching it, and also muttered something about making a tea that will give her a "buzz" ?

it is Ganoderma applanatum (you might have a different species or subspecies over there), the Artist's Conk. it makes a great hand drill hearthboard in conjunction with softer spindles (like Box Elder--Acer negundo). i do enjoy a tea made from it--although i've not experienced any transcendental effects from it. i'll have to brew a stronger pot... :p

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE