Bracken

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
When will the bracken be up again?

I found some references that bracken shoots (when still croziershaped and easily broken) make excellent food and were used as food in the past in UK. Boil like asparagus...

I suppose bracken is Pteridium aquilinum IIt doesn't grow around here in Brussels (it does in Wallonia) Maybe someone could try it for me and report on it?

When I lived in the South Pacific, we had fern shoots regularly. The brids nest fern we all know from flower shops (Asplenium nidus avis) tasted absolutely great. Especially when cooked the Fijian way, "vakalolo" (in coconut cream) Hmmmm.

Marts

Native
May 5, 2005
London
Stickie said:
I remember reading somewhere that the spores were carcinogenic also but I don't remember if that was if you ate them or if you just breathed them in.

Breathe them in. That's why you shouldn't use bracken as a lining material on a leaf shelter that is going to be used for any extended time. I slept in one once that was lined with bracken. The inside of the shelter was coated with the nasty little white spores. Got no sleep at all and had crappy lungs the next morning (and i'm a smoker so I know about crappy lungs!)

Pignut

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 9, 2005
Lincolnshire
Oh Poo!

You are telling me this 15 years to late!

We where always told it was OK

(Mind you, I probably have not had any for the past 10 years)

kata

Jun 7, 2005
lincolnshire
Pignut said:
Oh Poo!

You are telling me this 15 years to late!

We where always told it was OK

(Mind you, I probably have not had any for the past 10 years)

Yeah but these guys are on about eating the stuff, not smoking it.... :lmao: :lmao:

eraaij

Settler
Feb 18, 2004
Arnhem
Isn't it so that the young shoots are safe to eat? Older versions of the plants should not be touched, but I always assumed younger shoots to be editble.

-Emile

Pignut

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 9, 2005
Lincolnshire
Think you are right!

Make up your own mind but small quantities should be fine (Thank God)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE