Boxwood Axe Handle

Peat

Forager
Aug 29, 2008
West country
I am fortunate enough to have been given a fair bit of Box wood by a couple of different people. The first lot was given by a Columbian ex-cowboy, living in Catalunya. I was living there last year, and started making this hatchet handle out of one of the pieces. Unfortunately it was all well seasoned and it has been a proper labour of love making this thing. It really is very difficult to work - unpredictable, with pretty crazy grain. Tens of hours, and very sore hands went into this. Hopefully it will last me forever and make up for the time spent, in the long run

6892641175_d7ab89fa43.jpg

Before assembly^. The wedge is also box.

6892664879_24159b1d91.jpg

Here is a closeup of the wedge, you can just make up the density of the growth rings.

6892691955_b84c6209ae_z.jpg

It is c.45cm long.

I've also been making lots of crochet hooks out of the box. I've been making them for a while out of a variety of woods, mostly Ash, but I hadn't been making them below 6mm until now. With the boxwood I can be confident that they have the strength and durability to last and now i've made some down to 3.5mm. You can see them by clicking on the link in my signature.

Last edited:

Zingmo

Eardstapa
Jan 4, 2010
S. Staffs
Nice work. I did a hatchet handle in ash last year following Robin's thread, that was hard enough so I appreciate the labour that has gone into this. I like your handle shape - how long is it?

Z

Sent from my fondle-slab via tapatalk.

Peat

Forager
Aug 29, 2008
West country
Its about 45cm from top to tail. Realised, I didn't put anyhting in for scale. It is a hatchet, but this handle is a bit longer than average for an axe this size for a bit of extra versatility. Although it has been a lot of work, I do recommend grabbing any oppertunity to get your hands on boxwood. It is amazing stuff, different from all other woods. The sound of a bunch of box crochet hooks knocking together is wonderful - highpitched and clear. And its heavy! This axe handle weighs quite a lot. I left that swelling at the top to keep the balance because the handle weighs almost as much as the axehead!

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE