Box Wood Spoon

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Latest carving effort, this time in Boxwood, now this stuff might be sought after by wood turners but it's horrible to carve, it splits and splinters like no tomorrow, and even when green it's like carving iron, but hey it was free and despite the difficulties in carving it, it's worth it for the grain patterns alone.

DSCF4472en.jpg

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Very nice Mark, some nice patterns in the grain on that one.

Off to sharpen the tools then ey? :) I trashed my Ben Orford crook recently on a a piece of desert ironwood I think it was, I looked at the edge with a magnifying glass and nearly cried.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I love boxwood - I never had any splintering probs - though it was kinda hard ...but not as hard as some Victorian furniture oak that I have also carved :)

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Very nice Mark, some nice patterns in the grain on that one.

Off to sharpen the tools then ey? :) I trashed my Ben Orford crook recently on a a piece of desert ironwood I think it was, I looked at the edge with a magnifying glass and nearly cried.

Oh yes, the tools need a good strop now, still wont take long - i hope, feel for ya re the Orford knife, i love mine and would be devastated if i trashed them

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
That is a lovely spoon Mark... goodjob

Every time you post a new spoon on here you seem to surpass your earlier offerings :)

Cheers mate, i have few different ones in mind, just need to find the right piece of timber for them, i keep eyeing up a nice crook in the Plum tree in the garden, but im told i cant have it - yet:D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE