gordonmac

Nomad
Oct 15, 2009
Caithness, Scotland
gordonmac.com
Hi folks,

Looking for a decent bow saw with a lowered front end. I saw this one:

http://www.greenmanbushcraft.co.uk/cutting-tools/g-man-bow-saw-21-inch.htm

... but any other suggestions would be welcomed :)

I'm looking something for using at the countryside volunteer events I attend every month. They often involve a lot of gorse clearing. Last weekend we were clearing sea buckthorn from a path and I had a shot of a saw like this and thought it was excellent.

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
The lowered front end limits the size of brush it will cut, or limits the length of the stroke, making cutting anything thicker than a couple of inches a struggle, if you plan to use it more than once in a blue moon, get a decent one that is rounded at both ends, and throw away the blade that it comes with, buy a decent blade, and fit that. For small stuff in awkward gaps buy a folding saw.

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
I think I'd use a machete more than a saw on gorse. Agreed with Tadpole that you might want to consider the shape. I bought the wife a couple of saws from Aldi, one of them is that drop-nosed style but a lot smaller and she finds that very handy. I suppose it depends on what weight you'll consider reasonable, I'd probably take several different ones and lend most of them out. (I know, I know... :))

Take a small contact lens solution bottle of oil or a can of WD40 and a cloth wipe or something to coat the blades. If they're left lying around unprotected in a damp salty atmosphere the blades will quickly go downhill.

gordonmac

Nomad
Oct 15, 2009
Caithness, Scotland
gordonmac.com
Wow, thanks for the feedback and recommendations, guys. Very much appreciated!

@Tadpole: Thanks for the insight, I hadn't considered that the lowered front end would make larger things more difficult to cut, however morst of the branches I'll be cutting will be around the couple of inches threshold

@ged: Och, we don't have an Aldi anywhere near here :( Weight isn't an issue, not carrying it far :) I'll definitely remember what you say about the blades corroding! Thanks.

@HeltorChasca: I will definitely have a look at the Bahco bow saws, a very trusted make!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE