Bow drill fire - A Complete guide for beginners

CedrikG

Tenderfoot
Aug 6, 2012
Hi guy's,

I am new to the channel and wanted to share that video I made a little while ago. I hope you enjoy it!
Usually I prefer short video but I wanted to make a more complete video on the subject.
[video=youtube;_r4W2Yqw20U]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_r4W2Yqw20U&list=UU9yW33ZesEUd2ZIlNrj8ZQg&index=0&feature=plcp[/video]

Last edited by a moderator:

jackcbr

Native
Sep 25, 2008
Gatwick, UK
www.pickleimages.co.uk
Great little video and your methods certainly work for you. Couple of things I would do differently, but totally agree with the longer drill part. And there's a few points in there that I didn't know and will take with me next time I go out.

Thanks for sharing.

CedrikG

Tenderfoot
Aug 6, 2012
Thanks a lot and please do not hesitate to share what you would do differently ... I always like to learn

jackcbr

Native
Sep 25, 2008
Gatwick, UK
www.pickleimages.co.uk
As I say, different, not saying anything you did was wrong, as you so aptly demonstrated it really works, also not saying what I do is right. I try not to ever let the drill come into contact with the floor to prevent it getting damp. Also I would make a couple of bundles of fine twigs harvested from dead standing trees to get things going once the nest is in flame. and the idea of burning your set once you've got a fire going, I'm guessing you've got good access to a decent size of woodland, which sadly I don't so I've got a set I reuse.

Really like the idea of cutting your set in the tree, much more labour efficient. Encourages me to get out and try a fresh set

lannyman8

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
Really like the idea of cutting your set in the tree, much more labour efficient. Encourages me to get out and try a fresh set

give it a go Jack, many woods can be used, i have had success with the following...

birch on birch
hazel on birch
hazel on hazel
hazel on sycamore
sycamore on sycamore
willow on willow
willow on sycamore

these are just what have worked for me so you should find some dead standing local to your area some place with the above mix....:)

hope this helps.....

regards.

chris.

lannyman8

Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
do you mean the bearing block which hold the top of the spindle, the end you put pressure on????

if you do then any wood really, just make sure you lubricate it every time you drill, i use grass and it seems to work well for me, also make sure the size and shape are comfortable in your hand, with these things it makes all the difference....:)

best of luck DN...

Sep 21, 2008
Dartmoor
do you mean the bearing block which hold the top of the spindle, the end you put pressure on????

if you do then any wood really, just make sure you lubricate it every time you drill, i use grass and it seems to work well for me, also make sure the size and shape are comfortable in your hand, with these things it makes all the difference....:)

best of luck DN...

Thanks for that, that's the one that I meant :eek:.

I shall have a go; once the rain stops.......

lannyman8

Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
good on ya....:):):):)

i tried the hand drill earlier but failed as it was raining, i got some big brips of rain in the notch and on the dust, never good, but im still learning the hand drill though, but have come along loads....:)

jackcbr

Native
Sep 25, 2008
Gatwick, UK
www.pickleimages.co.uk
Thanks Chris, my issue is its all little pockets of woods by me with frequent dog walkers. Not too comfortable cutting stuff and then find a policeman waiting for me. I have had a good bit of success with the set I've made (unashamed self promotion alert) which is on my blog. Next step is to produce one in the field and get to at least half the proficiency that CedrikG has. My issue is I tend to go through string like there's no tomorrow. Not sure if it's a tension thing, an angle thing. It doesn't seem to matter what type of string I use, I can manage to snap it.

CedrikG

Tenderfoot
Aug 6, 2012
hehe.

The worst thing for a string is when it slip. You have to make sure it is tight enough cause if it slip it is not going to last long.

Awesome that you had success with birch, cause i did'nt here. i've had success with ...

Willow
thuya
pine
Spruce
tilia
balsam fir

and can be mixed with each other. I am for sure gonna give it some more try on the birch!

CedrikG

Tenderfoot
Aug 6, 2012
Hey man thanks :)

It is a OKC RANGER RD KNIVES, the 6 inch one. They can be found on Chesnut ridge knife shop. I ordered a few knife from them with very fast delivery.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE