Bow Drill - Catching The Coal.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Kitharode

Forager
May 16, 2016
Todmorden
Apologies if this is one of those 'daft' questions, but if you don't ask you don't find out.

If I have a go at the bow-drill method, what's the reason for catching the coal on a bit of bark (dry leaf, whatever) rather than straight onto a tinder bundle?

Cheers, :confused:

Dec 27, 2015
Pembroke
I myself honestly don't know why, I guess its just the done thing, the way everyone has been taught? Give it a try see what happens, cant hurt to try something new

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
In my experience, if you stand the hearth board on your tinder you compress the tinder to the point that it is unusable.
I have not tried using amadou as a catch plate but have used charcloth to catch the ember - it gives you a huge ember to play with....

Tommyd345

Nomad
Feb 2, 2015
Norfolk
You need the dust that is made to collect in a focal point to create a solid ember. A tinder bundle wouldn't be able to catch it and keep in one place as well as a dry leaf/whatever you use :)

No such thing as daft questions!

Kitharode

Forager
May 16, 2016
Todmorden
Thank you very much everybody. That all makes sense. Cheers Tommyd345 for pointing out that the dust makes the ember and needs a focal point. I can see how that would work. Ta muchly.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE