Bow advice kindly requested

max whitlock

Feb 28, 2010
Teesside
Hi all

I'm looking for a take down recurve bow to take out with me when camping on a friends farm/woodland. I have no idea about bows etc and wondered if those of you with some knowledge in this area would kindly bestow some of it on me.

I have around £150 to spend [for the bow alone - not including arrows] , i'm looking for something of fairly good quality, any advice on respected makers and those to avoid?

Also can i expect to get something reasonable and long lasting for my money?

i have been looking at a take down survival bow on ebay - any good?

any advice is very much appreciated.

PS i'm one of those [a leftie!]

regards
Max

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none
£150 wont get you a hand crafted bow i'm afraid

but there area few on here

http://www.thelongbowshop.com

however my honest advice would be find a club to shoot with, you'll learn the basics and probably get the chance to try a few different bows

Aaron Rushton

Tenderfoot
Jul 27, 2011
S. Wales
you could get a samick sage recurve which are remarkably smooth for the price. If you look on u.s ebay (if you don't mind the shipping time) theres usually a few second hand quality recurve settups from bowhunters whcih have given up on the sport or retired. thats how i got my recurve.

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Your post does beg the question "why?"

Take down bows, a bundle of arrows and the associated kit, is bulky and ungainly to carry around if you have no clear view of what you intend to do with it - to hunt with it is illegal, no farmer would want to risk "lost arrows" on farmed land, and woodland is notorious for deflecting an arrow in unexpected directions.

It is highly unlikely that the first bow you buy will be the one that ends up as your "keeper" because your technique, draw length and many other factors are going to change as your experience grows.

I don't want to put you off what I think is a great sport, but it needs to be thought about, considered and perhaps experienced under supervision before you find the way you'd like to move forward.

ATB

Ogri the trog

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE