Borrowing kit from the TA

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

FKeate

Forager
Jun 12, 2014
London
I'm looking at joining the university wing of the army reserves this coming autumn, mainly as the idea of getting paid to go camping sounds pretty sweet to me. Just wondering if anyone knows if one would be allowed to take the kit home for use on me own trips? Or is it all strictly signed for etc?

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
There is more to the TA than sitting around the camp fire singing ging gang goolie.

You can take all your kit home, even your rifle...but you'll need to buy your own ammunition for it. :rolleyes:

wingstoo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 12, 2005
South Marches
Most kit needs to be signed for, in fact pretty much all kit is, and some kit is known as G10 stock, that is signed for and if lost has some serious consequences.

Also the "TA" these days is generally not a paid holiday, it can and does lead to actual deployment.

It is quite amusing to see someone who thinks "Getting paid to go camping" is part of TA training... :O

tiger stacker

Native
Dec 30, 2009
Glasgow
In fairness GSUOTC is part of the Army Reserve.
Getting paid to go camping, well their approach is much more gentle than their counterparts nearby.

Bergen, sleeping bag, roll mat bivvy bag and the trusty basha do make it feel like camping. Until the local midges appear.

FKeate

Forager
Jun 12, 2014
London
Haha don't worry guys Ive got friends in the regulars and the reserves, I know it's no walk in the park. Largely joining for the challenge (plus I'm bored of spending my weekends working behind a bar). But you have to admit there will be some camping involved somewhere :p

FKeate

Forager
Jun 12, 2014
London
Never tried bivying, looking forward to new experiences. Plus hopefully it'll be a good way to meet some other active people.

FKeate

Forager
Jun 12, 2014
London
And god knows I could use a shilling right now... Three months solid hiking have left my boots, tent and bank account in tatters.

Stevie777

Native
Jun 28, 2014
Strathclyde, Scotland
Oh there will be Camping of sorts occasionally, just not any sleeping...enjoy. :lmao:

As for taking your kit home, yeah, you will be ok with that. I mean, where else are you gonna store 150 KGs of gear. Guns are Verboten though, as is Bayonets, anti tank weapons, hand grenades and various other stuff that make bang bang.

You might be allowed to take home your tin opener once properly trained in it's use. Not sure of the rules, you may need a certificate of competence nowadays.

Just remember the declaration before you leave the tin opening range.... I have no sharp tin openers or empty tins in my possession Sir !!!.. :naughty:

FKeate

Forager
Jun 12, 2014
London
Aww so I'm not allowed to take any of the fun stuff?? May as well go back to bar work, at least there we get to play with the corkscrews (already got my higher btec diploma apprenticeship in corkscrew usage)

kaiAnderson

Tenderfoot
Feb 11, 2013
Liverpool
I did a few years in the TA and you sign out all your kit on day one (clothese, webbing, sleeping bag etc) but rifles you never have access too without signing out on military ground and for a specific reason. i was allowed to take jeeps if i asked as i had an FMT600. when i left i handed back all the stuff i didnt want and kept all the cool gear. but you are largely responsible for all teh kit given to you. the know everything thats signed out and they give you a list when you leave. i was meant to hear more about the kit i didnt return but never did.

mick91

May 13, 2015
Sunderland
You might be allowed to take home your tin opener once properly trained in it's use. Not sure of the rules, you may need a certificate of competence nowadays.

Just remember the declaration before you leave the tin opening range.... I have no sharp tin openers or empty tins in my possession Sir !!!.. :naughty:

At a shooting contest once I joined in a range declaration as a civvy, drawing the short straw as ammunition dump I had to change it to "I have approximately 5000 live rounds and many more empty cases in my possession sir" nice being able to tell them to foxtrot Oscar when they try to bollock you for it. He didn't see the funny side but his full squad found my Benny hill style salute and different declaration entertaining

kaiAnderson

Tenderfoot
Feb 11, 2013
Liverpool
i remember those days of having to leave any area you'd recently fired in and having to troupe off the now live rounds, blanks, empty cases or pyrotechnics blah blah blah and every ****** chinking as they walk off

mick91

May 13, 2015
Sunderland
i remember those days of having to leave any area you'd recently fired in and having to troupe off the now live rounds, blanks, empty cases or pyrotechnics blah blah blah and every ****** chinking as they walk off

The joys of sponsored shooting as a civvy, all of the fun and very few regulations. And if the army or raf lads where practicing they where usually open to letting you have a turn of their gear in return for a turn of your target rifle

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE