Boot market buys

Hugo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 29, 2009
Lost in the woods
Quite pleased with today's couple of buys.
First up was an ammo box from 1988, was thinking of making a stove/cooker like Jack had at the Sussex meet.
Whilst looking at the box I missed an axe being sold for a couple of pounds, I saw a guy walking away with it, nice chap engaging and happy to walk away with double what he paid for it, Hugo was please also as when I got home and with a little sand paper revealing the words Brades 2 1/2 pounds 301.
One side of the axe will clean up very easily, the other is a little pitted so I'll take my time with some wet and dry.
I'm hoping to keep this one as it's a handy weight, I'll change the handle for a longer one when I get some wood, forest style. It looks better in the flesh by the way, it has already lost the hammer marks on the poll.
Finished pictures will follow later
Saturdaybootbuys001.jpg

Last edited:

Hugo

Nov 29, 2009
Lost in the woods
Close up the axe is nice, something about it make me think it will be my user.
A nice piece of ash is all it wants, you know where I'll be in the next couple of days to get that.
Next meet we have I'll bring it with me.

Ch@rlie

Nomad
Apr 14, 2011
Felixstowe
Nice finds,
funny enough I have been given one of this exact design this weekend by my Grandmother, I recall my late Grandfather splitting logs with it when I was a child.

It has
ELWELL
2 1/2
stamped on one side,

on the other
Its in surprisingly good condition. Although the handle has slipped 1/8th of an inch. anyone know the easiest way to re-seat the handle back into its original position? (Its still very tight fitting)
(sorry, my question is not intended as a thread hijack)

Last edited:

Hugo

Nov 29, 2009
Lost in the woods
I'd give the handle a tap on the end to seat it home and then try giving it a few coats of boiled linseed oil to make it swell a little.
If you can get a metal wedge for it that will help as well.

The axe that I am doing has now got a new handle of elm and is all oiled up, well three coats so far.
Just got to do something with the grind as I now want it as a hewing axe.
Hope to have finished pictures up by Tuesday.

woodspirits

Jul 24, 2009
West Midlands UK
www.facebook.com
[SUP][/SUP]good find hugo, brades are a good axe. a wire brush on a small hand grinder brings them up a treat! cut youself a hardwood wedge, make a split with a former chisel then knock it in and trim off the excess, far better than a metal wedge imo. i have a fine collection of axes, hedge slashers, cleaver and hooks all courtesy of car boots :)

Last edited:

Hugo

Nov 29, 2009
Lost in the woods
Here is a finished picture with new handle that is longer than it looks at 51 CM.
I might have another go at sharpening at a later date.
003-1.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE