Boomerang

andyn

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 15, 2005
Hampshire
www.naturescraft.co.uk
For just throwing for fun then If its a proper returning one then you want to throw it at about 45degs into the wind and aim at about head height plus a tiny bit more.

Hold it up right with the bend away from you. The important thing is when you release it that it spins fast rather than you thew it hard, so there is a strong wrist flick.

I'm sure google will be your friend here though.

I havent thrown mine since i was about 17, we use to do it out on the rugby pitch at college at break times. :lmao:

Marts

Native
May 5, 2005
London
We were banned from throwing them at junior school after one of the teachers watched Mad Max 2 :rolleyes:

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
The important thing is don't have your arm parralel to the floor as you throw it (3 o'clock) nor stright up (12 o'clock). It's dangerous !!!
Somewhere in the middle is best (1 or 2 o'clock)

Mark

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
loz. said:
Hi Guys,

I just got handed a boomerang by workmate who just got back from OZ - made by the Birrigubba and Ku Ku Yalanji peoples.

Great Pressie - Any clues how to use / throw it ?

Loz

Used to throw em all the time as a kid, even made a couple myself.

First off is correct orrientation of the boomerang....

Throwing this direction --->

\ (wrong)
/

/ (correct)
\

Like this...

2331_d_boomerang_hold.JPG

Hold one end like a pencil with your thumb and index finger wrapped around the end.

Stand facing the wind (throw some grass in the air and see which way it blows), then aim into and just to the right of the wind. Angle the boomerang about 45 degrees to your body and throw it so that it travels horizontal with the ground.

If you throw it towards the ground, it will arc up on the return and come down at you at a rate of knots from out of the sun (run like hell). If you throw it into the sky, it will sweep down low as it comes back and arc up over your head. If you throw it horizontal to the ground, it should travel on a pretty much horizontal path in a big circle back to you. If you plan to try and catch it, wear some padded gloves.

Bozle

Tenderfoot
Jun 19, 2006
Kent
Check the profile of the boomerang is actually an airfoil shape:

http://fotobydan.com/fbd homepage.html

A lot of the more 'touristy' boomerangs have symetrical profiles so don't return.

Once met a friend on the beach who had been throwing one for several hours determined to make it work, he was not happy when it was pointed out to him...

Huon

Native
May 12, 2004
Spain
One final point.

If you like your handmade boomerang from Oz you may want to start with a cheaper commercial version. Boomerangs break fairly readily if you throw them badly - surprisingly easy to do when you start out.

Good luck!

Huon

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE