books/forums

tommy the cat

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
Just wondering if anyone can recommend any good bird sites for reference. I have a couple of books for id but would like to have access to reference to bird calls.As you will all appreciate with the depth of the canopy at this time of the year sometimes bird calls is all we get to hear and my knowledge of calls is pretty pants.
Many thanks Dave

tommy the cat

Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
Ta Red just doing a google and thought I would post for recommendations.
Had a great night last night filmed a family of tawny owls which I hope to post up soon.
The stills weren't very good just the reflections of the little one's eyes! Doh!
Want to find out a little info on 'responsible birdwatching' as my ref books are good for id but I want to make sure I are not doing anything to 'disturb' the birds too much.
Ta Dave
(Oh how do you climb trees in the dark to get better pic's?

That was a joke
D:lmao:

Got to say the RSPB site is excellent only problem the bird song I was trying to id, which I thought was possibly a finch seems not to be.
Now if I hum it will you id it!!!

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
You need Jon Pickett or Fenlander for the clever stuff Dave - I just blunder around pointing and saying "pretty bird"

Red

tommy the cat

Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
Yes me too. Good to know the name of what you are ogling though. Working through the rspb site but becoming a bit tedious. Its just when I get into the woods this bird seems to follow me and I cant see the freakin thing!
Ta Dave

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Collins do a bird song CD which I have and its good. I have also heard of people taking birdsong out and about on MP3 if that helps?

Red

Jodie

Native
Aug 25, 2006
London
www.google.co.uk
That's a lovely site BR; just spent a few happy minutes there listening to blackbirds and
dunnocks (oddly no pigeons or sparrows!) which feature heavily in my parents' garden
when I visit.

The British Library also has some wildlife sounds that you can listen to online:
Listen to Nature
http://www.bl.uk/collections/sound-archive/listentonature/soundstax/groups.html
(scroll down the page for birds)

They've put a copy of "The Language of Birds" on there too:
http://www.bl.uk/collections/sound-.../specialinterestlang/langofbirdscontents.html

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE