Book worth buying for most any question you may have

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
A lot of the "suggestion" in the second book you've recommended have been abandoned as unworkable or downright dangerous. Not a book I'd recommend for first aid.

WanderLust

May 11, 2011
US
A lot of the "suggestion" in the second book you've recommended have been abandoned as unworkable or downright dangerous. Not a book I'd recommend for first aid.

disregarded by whom? And I agree not a first aid book, as the title states it's for emergency procedures. World of difference in theory and application.

Last edited:

WanderLust

May 11, 2011
US
point taken, I do however trust more a medical doctor who's whole medical career has been dedicated to wilderness medicine vs an EMT_W.... while not understating the training EMT_W's receive...their whole agenda is to get them to the hospital as quickly as possible. The books I suggested are for those instances where a hospital and professional care is not in the cards. Either way, they are worth a look, and could help you save a life one day. It is always easier when you have O2, helicopters, doctors and nursing staff on call prepped and ready to receive a patient vs lets say a bad fall while climbing, you're miles from anyone and you're watching someone die in front of you. while first aid will help, would you rather know this info and not need to use it, or need to use it and not know how to help? Take it in the spirit in which it was given. I'm not here to make waves or step on toes, but if I didn't have the medical training I have, and someone knew of a book I could read that would be beneficial to me, I would like them to share it..... I can make up my own mind later on. I could consult with my doctor on the validity of treatment suggested etc. Hope this helps.

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
Myself personally I'd choose to follow the advice of people "in the Loop" using techniques that are the most up- to-date, and proven to be affective in real life situations. As for trying to treat people miles from anywhere, where help is hours away, I’d rather be sure in what I am doing, than following something I read in a book. I sleep better at night knowing that even though the person I treated died, nothing I did hastened that death.

WanderLust

May 11, 2011
US
Myself personally I'd choose to follow the advice of people "in the Loop" using techniques that are the most up- to-date, and proven to be affective in real life situations. As for trying to treat people miles from anywhere, where help is hours away, I’d rather be sure in what I am doing, than following something I read in a book. I sleep better at night knowing that even though the person I treated died, nothing I did hastened that death.

that is your choice friend. I understand, but doctors, EMT's and all medical professionals learn from books. Most bushcraft comes from books. You read, and practice like everything else. If there are people too scared or unwilling to learn from a professional, it's up to them. The info has been presented, and now it's up to the individuals to consider buying the books. I do not advocate replacing a doctors advice, and in most cases you will be able to get people to a hospital in the UK.... in America people can be days out into the trek, with no one else around for help. In those dire straights knowing emergency procedures is helpful. thanks for the responses and good luck to all.

Puddock

Nomad
Nov 7, 2010
Dumfries and Galloway
I have this one which fits nicely inside my pack and has the essentials in. It's not a bad price either.

51u%2B5F-pKiL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU02_.jpg

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Pocket-First-Wilderness-Medicine-Guides/dp/1852845007/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1305306617&sr=8-1

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
If there are people too scared or unwilling to learn from a professional, it's up to them. The info has been presented, and now it's up to the individuals to consider buying the books.
No one is saying don't learn from books, but if you have to, make sure the advice in the books is as up to date and relevant to what you are Likely to find. And just because people are less than keen to follow your advice, doesn't mean they are afraid, it just mean they may have more up to date training, and have discounting the older more "riskier practices" as being just too risky for modern use.
as for
You read, and practice like everything else.
How would you suggest practicing safety pinning a person tongue to their lip?

Edit
Puddock.
Great looking book, simple and yet comprehensive

WanderLust

May 11, 2011
US
How would you suggest practicing safety pinning a person tongue to their lip? [/QUOTE said:
I would definitely not recommend doing this. One of the most silly and foolish suggestions for emergency treatment ever suggested. For someone stating they have the safest and most up to date first aid knowledge this is a foolish thing to do. Never mind the risk of infection, the chance at paralyzing facial nerves, but what happens to the patient when they wake up to figure out not only are they hurt, but their tongue is pinned to their cheek? If I woke up to find this has been done to me, I'd undue and then stab it into the face of the person who did it to me.

Last edited:

Wayne

Mod
Mod
Dec 7, 2003
West Sussex
www.forestknights.co.uk
Disregarded by the professional who teach first aid for a living.

Interesting comment. The Original Posted Book Field Guide to Wilderness Medicine is an excellent tome.

It is the course text for the WEMSI WEMT Course held at Glemore Lodge which is recognised by all NGBs and certification by the Scottish Royal College of Surgeons. The staff faculty are all servicing doctors or rescue practitioners.

I was formally interviewed about my experience as a medic and outdoor first aid trainer before going on the course.

A part from running a Bushcraft school full time I am a paid Wilderness Emergency Medical Technician.

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
Interesting comment. The Original Posted Book Field Guide to Wilderness Medicine is an excellent tome.

It is the course text for the WEMSI WEMT Course held at Glemore Lodge which is recognised by all NGBs and certification by the Scottish Royal College of Surgeons. The staff faculty are all servicing doctors or rescue practitioners.

I was formally interviewed about my experience as a medic and outdoor first aid trainer before going on the course.

A part from running a Bushcraft school full time I am a paid Wilderness Emergency Medical Technician.
If you read my post you will see I've made no comments regarding the first book listed the "Field Guide to Wilderness Medicine".

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE