Book review

sodajoe

Need to contact Admin...
Apr 17, 2005
Co Armagh
Has anyone had a chance to look at the new Ray Mears Bushcraft book? I can't seem to get my hands on it.

Also, I was wondering if anyone knows where I can get a hold of World of Survival or if anyone knows if it is showing on cable. :)

grumit

Settler
Nov 5, 2003
guernsey
i have it it is a follow up of the tv serie's and just go's into more detail the burch bark canoe bit is great nice read but its no survival manual :)

Snufkin

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 13, 2004
Norfolk
sodajoe said:
Also, I was wondering if anyone knows where I can get a hold of World of Survival or if anyone knows if it is showing on cable. :)
Are you after the book or the DVD? That series isn't available on video/DVD. I have the book PM me if you want it and we can sort something out.

sodajoe

Need to contact Admin...
Apr 17, 2005
Co Armagh
I was after the TV series and was hoping someone might know if it is going to be shown again or if I could get a recording...

Snufkin

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 13, 2004
Norfolk
sodajoe said:
I was after the TV series and was hoping someone might know if it is going to be shown again or if I could get a recording...
No probs, hope you can get hold of it.

2blackcat

Nomad
Nov 30, 2004
bromley
Got my copy from Sussex Book Shop - the discount book shop.
Just under the thirteen quid as someone else mentioned

Nice pictures

Read the first couple of chapters. Can't see me learning much bushcrafti stuff though. Could almost be a travel brochure. If you've seen the programme you've read the book

Steve

Ed

Admin
Admin
Aug 27, 2003
South Wales Valleys
Doesn't sound too good to me... pity
Depends on what you are after. If you are after a book to complement the new series then go for it.... It's an enjoyable and somewhat informative read. If you are looking for a bushcraft manual to learn stuff from then go for one of his earlier books that do just that.

:)
Ed

sodajoe

Need to contact Admin...
Apr 17, 2005
Co Armagh
Yeah, I have two of his earlier books and they are great reads, but it seems he is drifting away from teaching "hands on" stuff to a more narrative role.

That's okay but the thing that draws me to Ray Mears is the thought of learning from his depth of knowledge.

I am sure it has been talked about at great length here and I don't wish to dwell upon it but if he was to expand on some of the things he shows, then I feel it would be more popular among people like us who want to get into the woods rather than armchair adventurers. The extras on the new DVD is what I'm talking about – although it shouldn't be an extra. It should be in the show or book as a proper feature.

...that's just my opinion. :eek:

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
I got a copy but have just leafed through it. I think the pics though, are worth the price of the book. Never saw the series so I can't comment on that.

For someone like me who hasn't seen the series, I think there are things to be learned from this book. For instance, the building of a birch bark canoe is not something you see very often. Also, there are tons of books, including Mears' previous books, that focus on the little picture. It's good to see more books on the overall picture, where bushcraft, history, and lifeways are integrated.

NickBristol

Forager
Feb 17, 2004
Bristol, UK
I must admit that I do like his more narrative style - my favourite programme of his was the real heroes of telemark. If someone with real experience and knowledge of how to survive says that it was extremely hard to survive then I'm more convinced and more admiring of that hardship.

I'd love to see loads more information on the real details of how to do things on the DVD's, so it appeared almost like one of his courses was filmed. Would be more inclined to be a whole boxset at once that way.

As for the book, i agree with Hoodoo completely, it's the pictures that make it worth it, they're great for just imagining being somewhere else where we want to be...

sodajoe

Need to contact Admin...
Apr 17, 2005
Co Armagh
The pictures are fab, I have just leafed through the book in WHS, but the pictures in Bushcraft are equally impressive yet the book is very instructive on bushcraft.

I love photographs, but there are better books if it's just widlife/landscape pictures you're after. So I'm still not convinced.

But I hope you enjoy leafing through it and it gives you as much pleasure and inspiration as Bushcraft continues to give me. :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE