Book recommendations for a bushcraft beginner

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

scarfell

Forager
Oct 4, 2016
south east
Recomend the Collins Gems series, esp Trees, so you can find the right types of wood for different projects; Mushrooms and Food for Free are great to if you are up for foraging, although i would strongly recomend only picking mushrooms you can identify 100% after having someone experienced teach you...puctures not the safest way to identify

Collins Gems are great to stick in your pocket; Stars is another useful one to pass the long winter nights

+1 for Mears Outdoor Survival, Essential Bushcraft is good to

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
The Boreal Forest Biome is circumglobal. Most of the organisms occupy similar niches, whether it's northern Canada or Sweden.
Do you see the Peterson Field Guide Series? There are some 84 titles, most of which are specific to North America so useless to you.
However, the Peterson Field Guide to Animal Tracks should be useful, from birds and badgers right down to crayfish burrows, frog footprints and earthworm tracks.
ISBN 0-395-19978-6

Leshy

Jun 14, 2016
Wiltshire
The Boreal Forest Biome is circumglobal. Most of the organisms occupy similar niches, whether it's northern Canada or Sweden.
Do you see the Peterson Field Guide Series? There are some 84 titles, most of which are specific to North America so useless to you.
However, the Peterson Field Guide to Animal Tracks should be useful, from birds and badgers right down to crayfish burrows, frog footprints and earthworm tracks.
ISBN 0-395-19978-6
Book list updated, thank you Sir! ;)

Herbalist1

Settler
Jun 24, 2011
North Yorks
Yep that is a good book. One of my the best on animal tracks available.

lots of really useful books already recommened here.
Bushcraft (Mors Kochanski) has already been mentioned but I'd second this as one of the first to get. It wasn't one of my first ones but I wish it had been. What this book covers (and lots of bushcraft books don't or do but only briefly) is in depth instruction in the use of the basic bushcraft tools - knife, saw and axe. Also detailed instruction on firecraft and shelter craft. Learn the basics well and you've got a good foundation to take your bushcrafting in what ever direction you want.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
I'm really fortunate in that I need go no further than my front yard for animal tracks.
Mule deer or White-tails? How many, what sizes, which directions?
I'm surprised that I'll notice a single new footprint in dry soil. Best part is that before long,
you get to see the deer walking down my street to confirm(?) my suspicions about who
might have been nibbling in the front flower beds.

What I want to do this winter is to practice some things such as bow-drill fires and knots.
Unplug the smoke alarm and go to it!
I'll be ordering steatite soapstone soon. Been a really good thread in the Paleoplanet Forums
about oil lamps and torchlight. And, some really good experiments. You can carve soapstone with a screwdriver.
I want to make replica Inuit soapstone lamps. I have bear, elk, pork, chicken, lamb & bison fat for fuels.

beaver1970

Don't forget a first aid manual.

All good suggestions so far but one guy that always seems to get missed out and really knew his stuff and how to get the information across was Eddie McGee, His book 'Complete book of survival' is a really easy to read book with many practical thoughts, idea's and instructions that don't always appear in some of the books written by other authors.

D.B.

This book has been mentioned and so as "No Need To Die, The Real Techniques Of Survival." Aswell as these Eddie Mcgee wrote a book that went along side his TV Series called Staying Alive With Eddie Mcgee the book is of the same title. It was aimed at children but is a great book for a beginner or child. Shame the TV series isn't available online. I have searched everywhere for it to no avail.

MikeLA

May 17, 2011
Northumberland
Survival advantage by andy lane
Mors Kochanski Bushcraft
Richard Graves Bushcraft
Lofty wiseman SAS Survival book
no need to die by Eddie McGee

with these you really don't need another book

Reactions: ShinyKitSyndrome

uncleboob

Dec 28, 2012
Coventry and Warwickshire
All good suggestions so far but one guy that always seems to get missed out and really knew his stuff and how to get the information across was Eddie McGee, His book 'Complete book of survival' is a really easy to read book with many practical thoughts, idea's and instructions that don't always appear in some of the books written by other authors.

D.B.

Picked this up just recently. Have to say I quite like it, some bits and pieces in their that I've not come across before...couple of firefighting tips that I'm going to try out next time I'm out and about. Cheap (£2 on eBay) and worth a read

Cheers

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE