Book recommendations for a bushcraft beginner

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Aug 24, 2016
Nottingham
Hi all,
I'm sure that when it comes to bushcraft there is no real substitute for doing but can anyone recommend a good book for learning the basics?

I used to have Lofty Wiseman's SAS Survival handbook back in the 80,s but I've put it in a "safe" place and now can't find it. I'm tempted to buy this book again anyway so something to complement it would be awesome.

Cheers,
Ben

ammo

Settler
Sep 7, 2013
by the beach
3 very good recommendations there.
Also look at.
Safe travel in the Boreal Forest....Mors kochanski
How to survive in the wilderness......Bradford Angier.
Wood-Craft.....Horace Kepart
All 3 are fantastic.
Happy reading.
Ammo

Hibrion

Maker
Jan 11, 2012
Ireland
The only thing I'd add to what had been said is that Dave Canterbury's bushcraft 101 is worth a read. Don't bother with the second one though.

Canoedog

Life Member
Jun 22, 2016
Kiveton Yorkshire
I'm new to this and may be a number but I can't seem to find the downloads section, can someone point me the right direction please?
Cheers Gary

Sent from my E2303 using Tapatalk

Leshy

Jun 14, 2016
Wiltshire
I'm new to this and may be a number but I can't seem to find the downloads section, can someone point me the right direction please?
Cheers Gary

Sent from my E2303 using Tapatalk
Hi Gary, try logging in and using the forum through the website (using a browser), not Tapatalk.
You'l see the section on the main menu.
;)

+1 for Ray Mears books:

1-Essential Bushcraft
2- The complete outdoor handbook

"Uncle Ray" is the man

Last edited:

GoatBoy666

Tenderfoot
Jul 27, 2005
West London
I guess it depends which terrain type you are interested in.

But for northern European environment you cannot beat Survival advantage by Andrew Lane.

The one book that I constantly pull off the shelf, while others gather dust. Recommend A+++

ISBN-10: 0952282402
ISBN-13: 978-0952282402

Dec 6, 2013
N.E.Lincs.
All good suggestions so far but one guy that always seems to get missed out and really knew his stuff and how to get the information across was Eddie McGee, His book 'Complete book of survival' is a really easy to read book with many practical thoughts, idea's and instructions that don't always appear in some of the books written by other authors.

D.B.

backpacker

Forager
Sep 3, 2010
Eastbourne, East Sussex
51i7-YSJaNL._AC_US160_.jpg
Eddie McGee 'No Need to Die' this was the first book that I bought back in 1989 and as D.B. said it is a very easy book to read and understand but like all these sort of things practice makes perfect!

51zJ9wfYFML._AC_US160_.jpg
Ray Mears 'Outdoor Survival Handbook' this also is a very good book when starting out in Bushcraft, but to be honest any Ray Mears book is of value in Bushcraft and Survival.

Backpacker.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Wildwood Wisdom by Ellsworth Jaeger. EJ was a faculty member of the Buffalo (NY) Museum of Science and an authority on American Indian lore and camping.
Originally written in 1945 with 400+ illustrations (491 pages), the book has been reprinted by Shelter Publications in 1992. ISBN-13 978-0-936070-12-4.
Remember that in the Americas, the Stone Age came to a close no more than 600 years ago. Folded birch bark cups and all.

SCOMAN

Life Member
Dec 31, 2005
Perthshire
I guess it depends which terrain type you are interested in.

But for northern European environment you cannot beat Survival advantage by Andrew Lane.

The one book that I constantly pull off the shelf, while others gather dust. Recommend A+++

ISBN-10: 0952282402
ISBN-13: 978-0952282402

Just purchased this from Amazon, had a quick scan and it looks a good resource.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE