Book reccomendation....help

scottishwolf

Settler
Oct 22, 2006
Ayr
Can someone please reccomend a good book on tree and plant identification. Preferably one with good pics and is a decent size to carry with me on walks etc. And if poss, a link of where to get one :) cheers

fred gordon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 8, 2006
Aberdeenshire
My suggestions would be ;
The Collins Field Guide- Trees of Britain & Northern Europe ISBN0002192136
The Wild Flower Key - British Isles & NW Europe ISBN0723224196
Try here www.Amazon.co.uk
Hope this helps but I have used these for years. Collins also do an excellent series of books on most subjects called 'Little Gems'Great value at about £10 and the fit in the pocket neatly. :)

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
scottishwolf said:
Can someone please reccomend a good book on tree and plant identification. Preferably one with good pics and is a decent size to carry with me on walks etc. And if poss, a link of where to get one :) cheers
Pocket sized books? Then it has to be Collins gem Trees. It really is pocket sized and has colour pictures of tree shape leaves fruit/nuts/seeds. In the Front there is a guide to tree ident in the winter. And a mini guide to identifing by the leaves/ and or bark.

Feygan

Forager
Oct 14, 2006
Northern Ireland
Another vote for collins gem, great little book. Picked mine up for 2 quid at my local second hand book store, they had 3 of them there on the shelf. :lmao:

scottishwolf

Settler
Oct 22, 2006
Ayr
Anybody got one for sale or swap? I'm not working at the moment so a second hand one would be more affordable :)

pibbleb

Settler
Apr 25, 2006
Sussex, England
I'm afraid I can't offer you copies, but I have both Collins gem Trees ISBN 000718306-2 and The Complete Guide to Trees of Britain and Northern Europe by Alan Mitchell.

Like you cash is tight but I got these from the second hand books selection on Amazon. I think with postage I paid under a tenner. Which s a lot still I now, but if bought new they would have been over £15.00. However, it can mean waiting a few weeks for a copy to come up at the right price! Perhaps try and see if you can find any ebooks.

They are usually older books that have gone out of print, these can be downloaded for free, just a thought.

P

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE