Bolete (Which one)

Pignut

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 9, 2005
Lincolnshire
Come on guys and Gals what is it!?!?

bout 20cm accross, no blue bruising when cut

100_0521.jpg

Pignut

Jun 9, 2005
Lincolnshire
Not sure about affinis,

It lacks the dark raised net on the stem and does not have the pink pores of the felleus

The phone was mine but the damn shroom pinched it :lmao: :D

stovie

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 12, 2005
Balcombes Copse
Ptrobably just Boletus edulis. It is so locally variable that it is often difficult to decide. The fact it does not bruise (much) when cut also points in that direction.

Pignut

Jun 9, 2005
Lincolnshire
stovie said:
Ptrobably just Boletus edulis. It is so locally variable that it is often difficult to decide. The fact it does not bruise (much) when cut also points in that direction.

That is what I thought (There was a slight bruise when cut but not much)

Moonraker

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 20, 2004
Dorset & France
From the photo I would also say Boletus edulis. What kind of location was it in ( I see woodland but is it acidic soil, oak, conifer etc?)

It is an amazingly well preserved specimen to be fully open. Usually by then they are soggy and rat-eared but then this year is exceptional for fungi and the conditions are perfect.

Nice photo, shame about the phone but I see why you put it in for scale ;)

xylaria

Considering its size, the white pores, and the cap colour slightly bleeding into the white flesh I would diffinatly put in the same sect as the Boletus Edulis. I would taste it to tell which one of the sect it was. The pore colour is completly wrong for it to be in with the Satanas so I wouldn't have worries, but taste testing as means of identifing a fungus is the preserve of the very knowledgible or the completly thick. It could be a Boletus separans as it 's quite red but as a previous posting said the edulis is very varible.

Pignut

Jun 9, 2005
Lincolnshire
Moonraker said:
From the photo I would also say Boletus edulis. What kind of location was it in ( I see woodland but is it acidic soil, oak, conifer etc?)

It is an amazingly well preserved specimen to be fully open. Usually by then they are soggy and rat-eared but then this year is exceptional for fungi and the conditions are perfect.

Nice photo, shame about the phone but I see why you put it in for scale ;)

It is growing in sandy soil which has a mixture of oak, beech, pine.

I do have the same photo without the phone ;)

Also no i did not eat it (Bottled out!)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE