Boiling Cans of Food

markie*mark0

Settler
Sep 21, 2010
warrington
Does anyone do it?? My old man says no, but that was the days when old tins were poisinous todays cans are pretty harmless so i suppose boiling in the can is ok?

Miyagi

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 6, 2008
South Queensferry
It should be ok today. We were doing it with zinc tins of compo in the 80's. The water may not be fit for drinking though afterwards... not sure about that.

Dent the lid so the pressure - once cooked/reheated inside - pops the dent out. Be careful though, them tins will be hot to handle and will spit on opening.

Liam

Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
Sorry to shutter your illusions but cans arn't as safe as they could be....
They often have a plastic lining which contains Bisphenol A (BPA) which is a known hormone disrupter & carcinogen.
Some people on this forum will say it's ok to heat up the tins & prehaps I'm being alarmist but in the doubt etc.
At least you know now, you can do a little googling & then make up your own mind about it.:D

markie*mark0

Settler
Sep 21, 2010
warrington
It should be ok today. We were doing it with zinc tins of compo in the 80's. The water may not be fit for drinking though afterwards... not sure about that.

Dent the lid so the pressure - once cooked/reheated inside - pops the dent out. Be careful though, them tins will be hot to handle and will spit on opening.

Liam

i was going to open the lid before boiling, as fumbling about with a boiling can is a proper nightmare i'd guess hahaha

markie*mark0

Settler
Sep 21, 2010
warrington
Sorry to shutter your illusions but cans arn't as safe as they could be....
They often have a plastic lining which contains Bisphenol A (BPA) which is a known hormone disrupter & carcinogen.
Some people on this forum will say it's ok to heat up the tins & prehaps I'm being alarmist but in the doubt etc.
At least you know now, you can do a little googling & then make up your own mind about it.:D

but arnt the cans of today sealed in high temps to kill any germs?? so the lining would have to be save for that process?

lannyman8

Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
its fine to do it, as Liam said put a dent in the side when it pops out its ready to take out....bin the water as it tastes mank...:yuck:

be really careful when you open it as the pressure could send red hot bean juice spurting out or whatever, NEVER NEVER let the pan boil dry or the tin will exsplode, and trust me thats dodgey, they will go 20 odd metres through a tent too....;)

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Never tried boiling one. When I was younger (a teenager in the 1960s) we used to put unopend cans straight into the fire to heat. You do have to be careful though as if it gets too hot it will blow up.

Also now that I'm older I'm more mindful of things such as Black Timberwolf mentioned.

wingstoo

May 12, 2005
South Marches
I put two small holes in the lid, trhen into an ammo box with an inch of water in the bottom and a 3mm hole drilled in one corner of the lid, then clamp shut and pop on the fire, just like a pressure cooker. Works really well:)

lannyman8

Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
I put two small holes in the lid, trhen into an ammo box with an inch of water in the bottom and a 3mm hole drilled in one corner of the lid, then clamp shut and pop on the fire, just like a pressure cooker. Works really well:)

thats defo gettin used in afghan, TAXED, sorry...;)

wingstoo

May 12, 2005
South Marches
thats defo gettin used in afghan, TAXED, sorry...;)

Make sure you use the 50 cal boxes though, I think I could get 6 in at a time. Do give it a practice run and make sure the drilled hole is away from the hinged end by about an inch, and DON'T use the water for anything else, it's minging

wingstoo

May 12, 2005
South Marches
I was told about it by my old Dad, who was doing it when in the TA, he left in 1976, so I guess it is tried and trusted :cool:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE