Boiler to Billy

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

pierre girard

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 28, 2005
Hunter Lake, MN USA
This would be under the do-it-yourself heading. In the spring, Wing likes to hit the rummage sales. Sometimes I accompany her. Sometimes I come home with a load of junk.

One thing I watch for is the cheap stainless steel double boiler sets. I take them home, remove the handles and replace them with a lug. I place another lug opposite and make a bail of round or square rod slightly larger than #9 wire, thoguh #9 wire will work in a pinch.

To make the lugs, I saw out plate brass, about 3/32, file it to shape, and drill holes for the bail and rivets. The rivets I make from steel nails or thick copper ground wire, placing the end of the wire in the vice and carefully peening the end with a ball peen hammer. I stick this side on the inside of the kettle and file and sand it until it is flush. I do the same with nails, cutting off the head as the shape is not right for filing flush. The outside of the rivet, which goes through the side of the kettle and through the bail, I stop with a penny with a hole drilled through it. Once this is in place, I carefully peen the outside end as well. I usually place three rivets per bail.

Steel is best used for rivets, but copper is easier. If you use copper, you must be careful to keep it free of verdigris as it is poisonous.

An old double boiler makes a nice nest of two kettles, one with a cover, perfect for camping.

Tools needed: Ball peen hammer, hack saw or power sabre saw, file, linemens pliers, power drill, vice, and pipe (for use as anvil inside the boiler) or something like an old shoemaker's steel last.

Materials: Old double boiler, sheet brass or steel (for lugs), 16 penny common nails or copper wire of the same diameter (for rivets), steel round or square rod about 3/16 thick (for bail).

PG

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE