Bog Oak

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Quill

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 29, 2004
Wisconsin
There are places in the USA and Canada that sell wood from the bottom of the Great Lakes. This would likely be comparable. I would like to see some bog oak some day. I have heard of it in the past.

MartiniDave

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
How big a bit are you looking for? I originally come from the Fens on the cambs/norfolk border where the stuff used to be a real problem for the farmers, always hitting the stuff with the ploughs etc. I may be able to obtain some for you. It's not all oak despite the name, I assume you want a bit with a fairly close grain?

Dave

Quill

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 29, 2004
Wisconsin
Thanks for the link Kath. I see it is different in color from the under water logs. Is it all black or is that by region ie. Ireland? As a woodworker, I am always intregued by different wood. Since this is an old growth wood I assume that it has a close grain to it.

James Watson

Tenderfoot
Jul 30, 2004
Salisbury
www.nativeawareness.co.uk
MartiniDave said:
How big a bit are you looking for? I originally come from the Fens on the cambs/norfolk border where the stuff used to be a real problem for the farmers, always hitting the stuff with the ploughs etc. I may be able to obtain some for you. It's not all oak despite the name, I assume you want a bit with a fairly close grain?

Dave

Hi Dave.

Well I've just told bog trotters that I'm after a peace about a foot long by 3 inchs wide. I thought it would make some nice knife handles. Not that i'm skilled enough to make knives or handles but I thought I might commision some on to make me one.

Thanks,

James

MartiniDave

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
James,

When I'm next out that way I'll see what I can find for you - I'll let you know what I come up with. I've been toying with using a bit of fen bog oak to make new scales fo a swiss army knife.

Dave

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE