Bobcat Hunt

• Thread starter bluemountaingunworks
  • Start date
  • Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
B

bluemountaingunworks

I'd like to share my latest fur hunting experience with you! After a decent snowstorm here in southern Utah, I decided to go and check for tracks in the fresh powder. A couple of friends of mine from Colorado and I loaded up with two hounds and headed out first thing in the morning last Saturday. Mid-morning we spotted a large, fresh set of bobcat tracks crossing one of the many county roads we had traveled so far. The size of the track indicated it was made by a large tom, so we decided to let the dogs go and see if we could catch him. The dogs sniffed away and then began baying as they ran with gusto! When we caught up with them, they had the cat treed about 50ft up in a large Ponderosa pine. We took a few pictures and then I dispatched him with an old Remington Model 34 .22lr.

He weighed in at 27 pounds, has a wide belly, and measures 42" on the stretcher! Per Utah law, I removed the lower jaw to turn in to the fish cops for statistical purposes. The bottom canines were non-existent and the other teeth were very worn. This cat was old! I seriously doubt he would have made it through the winter with those worn-out choppers. Either way, he'll bring a pretty good price with the fur buyers and he gave us quite a chase. I'll post a few pics to share when I'm able to. Take care and God Bless! Jerry

G

Glade

Thanks, Jerry, that was interesting. I didn't even know what a bobcat was so I had a look on Google and it's a fine-looking animal. It sounds an interesting sort of a day - a world away from my humdrum city existence.

Jan 22, 2006
uk
its strange that i belive in hunting and wearing fur/ leather is ok by me (not farming so much) but i cant enjoy the thought of a bobcat hunt. probably some sentimental rubbish....
its in no way a judgement, because in your shoes i'd maybe do the same, its just odd how some animals you have more of an affinity with, or maybe just like them enough to do without their fur/ meat.

the fact that it was so old though, and was on his last legs/ teeth is fair enough. hope he had a good life and didnt suffer in the end.
its great to hear stories from guys who actually live much closer to the wild than we can here in the uk. keep em coming!

EdS

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
HM - kind of know what you mean.

I suppose it is in apart that the stuff that get shot tends to be seen as vermin -rabbit, squirel and even deer. Riminds me I must sort out the squirrel traps before the fruit trees start to blossom.

Again no judgement, as long as there is a parcticle reason to go hunting far enough.

andyn

Aug 15, 2005
Hampshire
www.naturescraft.co.uk
:confused: I'm not normally against hunting if its for a good reason; food and clothing, needed culling, pest control or whatever...but theres just something in the way i've read what you've written that just gets to me....especially:

bluemountaingunworks said:
Either way, he'll bring a pretty good price with the fur buyers

Don't suppose any of the money will go towards conservation of the areas that your wildlife needs to continue to survive?

So, out of curiousity, was there any other use for this animals death or was it purely for your own statisfaction?

Don't want this to come across the wrong way, and i'm sorry if this sounds a tad judgemental and maybe even a bit ignorant and insenstive to your local cultures, but i just can't see the benifit of this to anyone but yourself...and that's just a tad too selfish in my mind.

Maybe you could explain the reasons for shooting bobcat and giving a little insight into why so we don't misinterpret it as just plain cold bloodsport?

Reactions: British Red

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
I think we need to be carefull about putting UK values onto activities taking place in other parts of the world.
The US has a very different outlook on this sort of thing.

It's not a bad thing that predators are controlled to a certain extent as it takes the pressure off the prey species allowing them to build up in numbers.
After all that's what happens in the UK.

Mark

B

bluemountaingunworks

It seems that my post has sparked some mixed feelings. I can assure you that I had/have no intentions of getting into a debate over the merits of trapping and hunting. Although I would like to answer some of your questions and concerns.

Buckshot is absolutely correct when he says that we have a different outlook on these sorts of issues. I believe there are several reasons why. First of all, it is a very rich and revered part of our heritage. The majority of our county was discovered and mapped by European trappers from multiple countries. England, France, the Dutch, and the young Americans were all racing for better trapping grounds and bigger beaver.

Secondly, the country is so large that natural resources abound everywhere. For example, the county I live in in Utah is the 5th largest in the nation and larger than the state of Deleware. It is also in the top 5 least populated. My town has a population of 1200, is less than 1 mile across, and an hour from any other town. When I worked for the Forest Service as a firefighter, our response area was 10 million acres. It took us 5 hours to drive from one side to the other on the pavement. It took nearly an hour and a half to fly in a helicopter. There are few roads and access is limited to mostly foot traffic due to the scope and terrain. This lends itself to a large majority of the land not being molested by humans. Therefore, alot of critters can go about the day without fear of death.

Wildlife management is also a critical factor when determining how/what/when/where/and why we can hunt and trap. Our county has a lot of cattle ranching operations. Ranchers typically have several hundred beef cows roaming the country in search of grass. Due to our arid climate, it takes on average 40 acres of ground to raise 1 cow per year. Compare that to the Southeastern US where it takes 1 acre per cow per year. These cows are under constant harassment by mountain lion, coyote, bobcat, and black bear. These predators are in significant enough numbers to hurt these ranching operations. There is also the financial/social ramifications of a predator attack. The average cow brings anywhere from $650-$1200 and yields 500-800lbs of beef for the American public. A mountiain lion can eat dozens of cows in a years time. These predators also wreak havoc on the deer and elk herds that are managed for hunting.

andyn asked if any of the money goes into conservation. A Utah Furbearers license is $29 and bobcat tags are $5 each with a limit of 6. Every cent goes directly into the Utah Department of Wildlife Resources to be used in conservation projects. In fact, the only funding the Department receives is from the license fees and citiations. They receive no other funding. Also, if the fur is sold at a fur auction sponsered by the Utah Trapper's Association, 10% of the final sale is deducted by the Association. 6% is paid by the buyer and 4% is paid by the seller. This money is put into various conservation programs and 2% is placed in a scholarship fund to send trapper's kids to college. It should be noted here that the Association is a voluntary membership organization/club and has no government affiliation.

Lastly, there is no bloodlust here on my part. Trapping is part of my families annual income. It is also difficult to do. It is more than simply placing a trap on the ground and bringing home fur every check. I have been at bobcat trapping since Nov.15 of this year and have yet to catch a cat. State law requires you check your traps every 48 hours. My traps are spread over 64 miles of gravel road, require 5-6 miles of steep hiking, and take 4-5 hours to check. It is a very lengthy, in-depth, process that requires dedication, love for your quarry, and a desire to work/live outdoors constantly-not just when the weather is good. It has been below zero degrees F the last week here with a stiff wind, but I still trudge around working my line. I enjoy it. I am able to see God's glory in all of it's wonder. If He sees fit to put an animal in my trap, then even better. I respect the animal and dispatch it in the most humane way possible.

If trapping is really a painful topic for you, I apologize. I don't apologize for doing it though. I also respect your views and rights-that is what freedom is all about. I would like to add that trapping will never end until the high-fashion industry ceases to use it. So please don't look down on the trapper who slogs his way through the woods all winter-he's just feeding his family. I hope I have answered your questions and addressed your concerns. Please don't hesitate to ask more and I will answer them truthfully. However, I won't engage in a catfight here on the internet. Take care and God Bless! Jerry

madrussian

Nomad
Aug 18, 2006
New Iberia, Louisiana USA
Doesn't sound like you would make very much money trapping with all the gasoline your burning. :D I envy you. I wish we had more open country in my neck of the woods. Enjoy it while its still there.

Hawkeye The Noo

Forager
Aug 16, 2005
Dunoon, Argyll
bluemountaingunworks said:
Take care and God Bless! Jerry

I never realised that your name was Jerry, I thought you were being tongue in cheek as in Tom and Jerry the cartoon. I thought you were saying I just killed a cat, God bless the mouse. :lmao: The next time you do this photo one of the paws close up so I can get a good look at the paw track.

Hawkeyethenoo

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Well, all on this thread I am going to do something unheard of. I intend to rep Andyn for his polite "challenge" and BMGW for his polite response and very, very illuminating response. We all have our beliefs, but the ability to question and respond without generating abuse is vital. I have my own views but they add nothing to the discussion.

Congratulations on a debate that has not degenerated into abuse gentlemen :You_Rock_

Red

andyn

Aug 15, 2005
Hampshire
www.naturescraft.co.uk
Without quoting all of what Jerry said. I just thought I'd take a moment to thank him for his response. It was most interesting to read.

Like I said in my post, im not against hunting or trapping if its for the right reasons, and i did say i was very ignorant to the hunting reasons in the states. So it was very enlightening to be able to gain more insight into them, eveni f i don't agree with all of it :) , but thanks for taking the time to write what you did.

Kane

Forager
Aug 22, 2005
UK
One of the politest and informative threads about hunting and different ways of life I've ever read - nicely done folks.

Big John

Nomad
Aug 24, 2005
Surrey
Thanks Jerry. If you don't mind me asking, how much is 'a pretty good price' for the fur? Is trapping/hunting your sole source of income or just a sideline?

It's interesting talking to someone with such a completely different lifestyle to mine!

dommyracer

Native
May 26, 2006
London
Props to Jerry for putting across his viewpoint so rationally and in such an interesting way.

So often on internet forums this kind of thing would have started a major ding dong.

Jerry, if I ever find myself in Utah, I will look you up and hassle you to take me out and show me the ways of the trapper.

B

bluemountaingunworks

Big John has asked what is a good price for a bobcat pelt. The average here in my region of the U.S. is between $300-$350. The cat mentioned here will be an XL size and has several other desireable trailts, such as a wide spotted belly and really thick fur. The other trappers I have shown him to and spoken with expect this cat to bring anywhere between $500-$600.

Trapping is a major source of my annual income and I pursue it from October to March each year. I also own a gunshop/gunsmithing business called Blue Mountain Gunworks. I have a store front in Monticello and an active ebay presence as well. So I have "lots of irons in the fire" so to speak and I really enjoy the variety! The reason for the delayed response this past weekend is due to a gunshow I went to on the 19th and returned last night. I show 3 tables worth of goods at the Salt Lake City show held 4 times a year. It's a great opportunity to meet folks and share stories. An average of 5000 people come through the show each weekend, so the potential for sales is great too.

I would like to extend an invitation to come and visit me here in Utah. I would be glad to show you around the area, take you to places off of the tourist route, and fill you in on what we do out here. Thanks again for the chance to "spin a yarn" with you. Have a good day and God Bless! Jerry

Woods Wanderer

Need to contact Admin...
Jan 26, 2006
lincolnshire
i have to say im very envious of you it was always my dream to trap like the mountain men if you ever want a hand or labour for the chance to get shown around please contact me heck id sit in a trap as bear bait if thats what it took cheers and well done with keeping things civil its a great lesson

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE