BlueAngelical hybrid bedroll

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

WittyUsername

Forager
Oct 21, 2020
Kent
I had this arrive recently...

Very impressed with the quality. Looking to use it in anger sometime soon.

WittyUsername

Forager
Oct 21, 2020
Kent
What combination does everyone use with their bedrolls? Just a tarp over the top and a wool blanket for in/on the bedroll? Anyone used one inside a tent?

swotty

Apr 25, 2009
Somerset
Afraid I can't answer you question but there's some nice kit on that site..I've not heard of them before.

Sent from Somerset using magic

WittyUsername

Forager
Oct 21, 2020
Kent
Afraid I can't answer you question but there's some nice kit on that site..I've not heard of them before.

Sent from Somerset using magic

Yeah, this is the first thing I’ve bought but it’s great quality. I’ll be looking at other stuff. It’s all handmade.

Reactions: swotty

Erbswurst

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
My ancestors didn't serve in the cavalry.
That's why I didn't inherit such a bed roll.

• Haha
Reactions: TLM

TLM

Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
They do look well made but aren't they kind of outdated? If I had my trekking gear made that way I have some doubts about my ability to move more than a few klicks. Unless I had a pack horse of course or at least a pack reindeer.

SaraR

Mar 25, 2017
Ceredigion
They do look well made but aren't they kind of outdated? If I had my trekking gear made that way I have some doubts about my ability to move more than a few klicks. Unless I had a pack horse of course or at least a pack reindeer.
So you clearly need to get yourself a packhorse (-goat, -reindeer, ...), then! ;D

WittyUsername

Forager
Oct 21, 2020
Kent

It’s definitely not the way most people like to camp. This thing would look strange amongst the ultralight gear that most seem to veer towards nowadays.

I’m pretty confident it’ll last me forever though, which isn’t something I could say about my inflatable sleeping mat.

Reactions: Erbswurst

TLM

Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
This thing would look strange amongst the ultralight gear that most seem to veer towards nowadays.
Ultralight is still far away from my std gear that allows me to fairly easily walk 20 km a day in trailless terrain.I once did an inventory and if I had UL everything I would drop from the present 23 kg (for a week) to about half of that. Dropping all redundancy and comforts would still shave a few kg.

WittyUsername

Forager
Oct 21, 2020
Kent
Ultralight is still far away from my std gear that allows me to fairly easily walk 20 km a day in trailless terrain.I once did an inventory and if I had UL everything I would drop from the present 23 kg (for a week) to about half of that. Dropping all redundancy and comforts would still shave a few kg.

Yeah, I certainly wouldn’t presume that everyone needs one of these, I only made the thread in search for some tips and advice when using it.

Hopefully I’m not the only person here who’s fancied giving bedrolls a go, rather than hammocks/tents/bivvies/tarps, etc.

Reactions: Laurence Milton

SaraR

Mar 25, 2017
Ceredigion
Yeah, I certainly wouldn’t presume that everyone needs one of these, I only made the thread in search for some tips and advice when using it.

Hopefully I’m not the only person here who’s fancied giving bedrolls a go, rather than hammocks/tents/bivvies/tarps, etc.
Do you not use them in combination with a tarp then?

Erbswurst

Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
Unsure, but if it's made the right way it should work well without tarp too.

The German boy scout tent Kohte is constructed like that, that one can fold the tent sheets to make cotton bivvy bags of it. (Only the large size Wanderkohte)

We used to set up the tent if it was already raining in the evening but slept in the open with an in half folded military poncho as waterproof ground sheet underneath if we didn't expect rain.

But sometimes it rained and we stood dry.

But that is made of an impregnated tight woven cotton fabric. These tent sheets have no wax on them.

WittyUsername

Forager
Oct 21, 2020
Kent
Do you not use them in combination with a tarp then?

I probably would, but they can be used on their own in good weather, too. They can be used as a sleeping mat inside a tent, as a sleeping bag when folded, or as either of those underneath a tarp.

They’re pretty much 40% sleeping mat, 40% sleeping bag, 20% bivvy.

Reactions: SaraR

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE