Blasting Away the Night Before

Neil1

Oct 4, 2003
Sittingbourne, Kent
Ok, like many others I over did it a little last night and paid for it this morning.
So what I really needed was a good walk and lots of fresh air, so off I headed to Dartmoor and the customary "new years day stroll" out to Cranmere Pool (a remote place in the centre of a huge blanket bog). Being one of the highest points in southern England it gets quite extreme weather straight off the Atlantic.
This also seemed like the ideal day to test a couple of projects I have been working on for some time and had finished a couple of nights ago (a new version of the classic bushshirt and a winter hat).
Driving up onto the moor the weather got worse the higher I got and by the time I parked the car the rain had turned sleet that was blowing horizontally in from the west. The visibilty kept changing and would suddenly drop to about 30 mtrs, so I was glad I had my decent compass with me.
The heavy rain of the last few weeks had totally saturated the peat bog, so my march out to my destination was accompanied by a constant "splish-splosh", only broken by the slurping noise made by the peat trying to suck my boots off on the very soft ground.
It was one of those days that reminds you how great it is to be alive, the wind blown sleet stung as it hit my face and trying to walk on a straight bearing was near impossible, but it was great.
Eventually the small, grey, granite letterbox came into view and the thought of a good hot brew & a bounty bar took over. I got my stove going and sat with my back against the box for some protection, while I flicked thro the visitors book. To my suprise there were no entries for today (there is normally always an entry for new years day, normally the local rescue group).
Once I had my brew, I stowed everything back in my bergen, took a bearing and made my way back to the car.
The light had almost gone by the time I arrived (the sleet had not). I sat in the car and assesed how my kit had performed. My trusty Lundhags had kept my feet comfy & dry. My ventile smock, while not a waterproof, had done a very good job of keeping the wet at bay.
The bushshirt had'nt let any water thru to my merino wool base layer. Being wool it also did a good job of keeping my body heat regulated, that combined with the breathability of ventile meant I had no problems with condensation build up. The design was comfortable & practical, working well with the design of the smock.
The hat, being made of the same fabric combination as the bushshirt, worked well too. The peak design I was particularly pleased with, it was long enough to keep the rain out of my eyes and the stiffening meant it was'nt buffeted by the weather.
All in all it was a great way to spend new years day and even now my face has that warm glow you only get when the weather has "sand-blasted" it :D
Anyway I put a few pictures of the day up in my gallery for you to have a look @
Neil

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Hmmm, looks kind of *refreshing* :rolleyes: :D
Bleak too, one of those days you really know the weather is going to do what the h3ll it likes :eek: Fair blasts the old sinuses andheadaches clear though.

Will you do more of a write up on the bushshirt and cap? Not so much to steal your pattern but why some details really work would be good. :cool:

atb,
Mary

Neil1

Oct 4, 2003
Sittingbourne, Kent
I shall put a bit more up about the actual items at some point soon, well as much as I can without breaking forum rules (its possibly a product :rolleyes: ), hence not too much detail.
I was just pleased with how well it all performed. Its a great feeling, you spend hours working out the design, hours doing the diagrams and making the pattern, then spend an eternity in front of the sewing machine, then comes the moment of truth - will it actually do the job.
The fabrics I know work (all natural fibres - so good round fires and don't stink of BO after a couple of days), but its wether my ideas actually work when it counts and todays weather gave it a real good testing.
Both the items are designed to be used for bushcraft, in the shelter of a woodland environment, to find they work in an extreme environment really is the icing on the cake - I was smiling to myself all the way home :D
Neil

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Best of luck with it :D
I don't think there's a better type of testing than the testimonial of someone who actually *uses* a piece of kit, and does so thoroughly, not just a quick walk the dog to the papershop and back.

Cheers,
Toddy

BorderReiver

Mar 31, 2004
Norfolk U.K.
Nice one Neil,nothing like combining business with pleasure. :D

I am rapidly going back to natural materials for wearing all the time.The only advantage that the modern gear has is it's lightness and packability.I would hate to try to carry my double ventile jacket in my daysack frinstance. :rolleyes:

Neil1

Oct 4, 2003
Sittingbourne, Kent
See what you mean, I use a single layer (double shoulders + hood), which with the right gear underneath keeps most weather out, its just getting the layers underneath right that takes the time, hence the need to design my own.
My wool mid layer has ventile in the areas that count,so the two can be used in conjunction.
Neil

addyb

Native
Jul 2, 2005
Vancouver Island, Canada.
Neil,

I couldn't agree more. Yes, Ventile's not "waterproof" per say, but if a person chooses the appropiate clothing to layer underneath they'll be very dry and very comfortable.

I had quite the night on New Years as well, so yesterday morning I took a long walk too. It was raining very badly, and anyone who's read my posts here knows my hatred for my Entrant GII-XT jacket. So, I dug the tattered 30+ year old double layer Ventile anorak out of the closet and put 'er on. Other than my shirt underneath, I wore only a lightweight Polartec 200 weight fleece. And wouldn't you know, I was bone dry and comfortable. Of course when I took the anorak off to dry by the fire, the shoulders were soaked through but the fleece kept the moisture off my body.

I guess the Shirley institute had it right after all!

Adam

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE