Blasted Bushcraft

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Docherty

Tenderfoot
May 11, 2010
Dorset
Hey folks, I love coming on this site and admiring beautifully handcrafted items, reading interesting articles and looking at everyone's photos of we'll put together camp sites and views from the road but it got me thinking:

What are you bushcraft pet hates, the aspect of our hobby you hate and the finnickity blasted bits that make you want to through your mora at a tree and take up knitting.

i'll get the ball rolling.

When I've finished a passable spoon only to decide that I need to tidy up a bit more around the neck and end up splitting the ruddy thing.

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
The only thing that gets my goat on times is when people try to imbue the whole bushcraft thing with an importance and mystery it just doesn't have, instead of just relaxing and enjoying it...:)

dean4442

Nov 11, 2004
Wokingham UK
Too many shiny things I'd like to buy and some of them I should just say yes to but umm and ahh then miss out. Still regret not going for the condor hd kukri!
Colin

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Hammocks.

And Homo Erectus who have banana spines and who insist on a hammock

(Oh boy, I think I have managed to insult just about everyone here...)

nephilim

Settler
Jul 24, 2014
Bedfordshire
Logging on here and seeing something else for sale that I can't afford.

This is my bug bare...if I was a millionaire, I would have purchased so much from here, but alas I will have to make do with what I have after the bills.

As for my issue, not getting enough time to practice my craft.

Philster

Settler
Jun 8, 2014
Poole, Dorset
I have two bugbears - one is there isn't enough "wilderness" near where I live. The other is coming on this forum and finding more "for sale" posts than posts on bushy subjects ;)

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
My pet hates are firstly, the British weather... mostly damp, it gets into your core and makes everything a bit grim. I still go out all year round but I am envious of those in countries with proper seasons, dry-cold, dry-hot and so on.
Secondly, those who consider one type of modern equipment more bushcrafty than another... like a canvas tarp made last week is more authentic than a silnylon one of the same date. Get a grip. I understand everyone can like one more than the other but pretending it is more in keeping with bushcraft is a nonsense. Then there always comes, my tarp is better for the environment... again, nonsense, it's all made in a huge factory somewhere for the least cost so that drives me nuts.
Thirdly and this is a bit more general, it's the whole rip-off Britain thing where something made in the far east costs $99 USD in the US and £99 in the UK. It's cheaper to buy a Hilleberg tent that has been shipped all the way to the US than one that is a short hop away. Not limited to bushcraft though.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE